This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For every new year, maybe there is something different you hope for, or maybe it’s the same thing every time.

Each year, sometimes I can recall it changes, and other times I’ve noticed I had hoped and wished for the same exact thing. I believe that New Year’s wishes are endearing, it feels like a fresh start, maybe a new pallet, the chance to become someone better.

This year I found myself under my dining room table, shoveling 12 grapes into my mouth before the clock hit 12:01 a.m. while trying to make 12 wishes. I will tell y’all that I truly only made six wishes as it was actually more difficult than I anticipated to chew and think.

Of course, some of my wishes consisted of finding love (cheesy I know), getting good grades in the coming semester, good health, and prosperity (I didn’t even know I could think of such a difficult word as I almost choked on a grape or two), but the one that shocked me was simply “to be happy.”

There are a lot of things that “to be happy” can entail: you can be happy when you actually passed that test you totally thought you would bomb, or maybe when your pet loves that new toy that you got them for Christmas, and let’s not forget when you find that one song that you can’t help but replay. Yeah, there are just so many things to be happy about.

Yet, my wish was so simple, “to be happy,” I did overthink it a bit after the fact, and I realized that literally sums up everything for this coming new year. I truly want to be happy, it’s something that no matter what I do, what I see or even who I might meet, I want to be happy through it all.

It was one of my wishes after all, so maybe if I cross my fingers enough it could actually come true. I didn’t eat 12 grapes for just anything!

So I guess you could say that my hope for this new year is that I simply take the time to be happy with everything. Life sometimes gets very chaotic, sometimes it gets boring and sometimes it’s somewhere in between. So in this roller coaster we call life, I hope to be happy.

While a relationship would be nice, I hope that I will be happy simply just seeing how things may go.

2023 is a new year, and every year always brings so many different things: some good, some bad and a few that are just plain ugly. I know that in any experience I face I will try to find a bit of happiness, even if it’s small, because that means that my silly wish came true.

The world now has become my little oyster, and maybe I’ll find some pearls along the way.

Elonie is a sophomore currently attending Penn State as a journalism major. When she's not busy, she's curled up starting Netflix shows she'll never finish.