My Favorite Songs I’ve Discovered Through TikTok

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you always want to find new music to listen to (but end up listening to “Folklore” by Taylor Swift for the 5th time in a row. Being a “Swiftie” is both a blessing and a curse).

Something that has helped me find new music is TikTok. I get a lot of videos on my FYP of not-so-big artists who want to promote their music, and they always do so in a great way. It turns out that discovering amazing music is a perk of spending all my time procrastinating on the clock app. 

For this article, I’ve decided to share some of my favorite songs I’ve discovered through TikTok, songs that I would probably never have come across if it wasn’t for this app. 

1. “Pink Slips” by Jenna Doe

I’ve listened to this song so many times in a row since it came out that I won’t be surprised if it ends up as one of my top songs on Spotify Wrapped. As I mentioned above, I’m a huge Taylor Swift fan and this song reminds me so much of Taylor’s music that it’s not surprising how much I love it. I found it through one of Jenna Doe’s videos on TikTok and it hasn’t left my playlist since. 

1. “Stupid Boys” by Maddie Zahm

This song by Maddie Zahm is my latest obsession. Last week, there was one day I listened to this song on repeat for one hour straight and when I wasn’t listening to it, the melody was stuck in my head. It’s that good. 

If your friends are always calling you out for falling for the wrong man, this song is for you. I love the lyrics, the beat, and Zahm’s beautiful voice. Add this song to your playlist ASAP! 

1. “Kitchen Light” by Xana

“Kitchen Light” is the definition of crying in the club. Though the upbeat melody might deceive you, the lyrics can get pretty deep. Xana tells a story with her words and we have no choice but to listen to it. The stripped version came out recently and it is just as good.

1. “Got No Choice” by Brooke Eden

A sapphic country artist singing about her love for girls. Do I need to say more? 

When I saw Brooke Eden promoting her song on my FYP I ran to my spotify account to listen to it. I’m not a big fan of country music, but this one caught my heart. The story behind this song is beautiful. You can find her video talking about it on her TikTok account. It’s worth checking it out.

1. “she calls me daddy” by KiNG MALA

This is one of KiNG MALA’s songs that I’ve seen on my FYP and fell in love with. As the title might give away, the song is sexy and fun. The artist has a unique style of music that got me hooked from the first listen. On top of her awesome music, she is always doing live Tarot readings on TikTok. Go give her a follow!

1. “City” by Katy for Kings

The lyrics “I don’t think I could ever go to the city and not look for you” are a lighthearted version of Billie Eilish’s “you made me hate this city,” and I love Katy for that. I love how she creates a clear picture with her words, and how it goes so well with the melody. 

1. “What If I Love You” by Gatlin

Another song for the “Crying in the club” playlist, “What if I Love You” by Gaitlin was all I could listen to for weeks. I’m still obsessed with it. Her voice is great and I love the lyrics with my whole heart. After I heard this song for the first time, I immediately started following Gailtin on Spotify and binged her discography, but this one is still my favorite. 

1. “Not Forever After” by Olivia Klugman 

Was I obsessed with this song for weeks because I kept listening to it and thinking about my crush? Maybe. But I fully believe that songs we can relate to are the best ones. “Not Forever After” is a sweet song about being with someone you know you won’t grow old with, but that doesn’t stop you from enjoying your time with them. 

1. “Groundhog Day” by Em Beihold

You know that feeling that everyone’s life is moving forward but you’re stuck in the same place you were one year ago? This song by Em Beihold describes that feeling perfectly. I might have cried to it a few times, even though the melody can distract you from the call-out lyrics. “Groundhog Day” is on the playlist I listen to when I need a good cry, and I know that many people can relate to the lyrics. 

The songs listed above are just some of the amazing songs by amazing artists that I’ve only discovered because of TikTok. It’s great to think that the app is giving smaller artists a chance of promoting their music and finding new fans.

Rafaela (she/her) is a senior at Penn State, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Journalism and Sports Studies. She spends too much time listening to Taylor Swift and reading romance novels.