Must- Have Apps for 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Holiday season has come and gone and all that remains is your sleek iPhone 5 or your brand new iPad mini. Yes, many of us lucky collegiate women now find ourselves the proud owners of the latest gadgets of 2013.

We find ourselves immediately downloading the popular apps before we even take our new toys out of the plastic wrapping. Facebook, Twitter Instagram… it’s all pretty standard. Even Snapchat, while quite entertaining, is no longer a novelty.

Little do you know, the beloved App Store is home to thousands of downloads that have the potential to significantly enhance your college experience, both intellectually and socially.

Check out these eight unique apps that may come in handy on your new phone or tablet. All of these downloads are inexpensive for those of us shopping on a budget. Most of them are even free. Once you discover these hidden gems you’ll want to share them with all your friends. After all, us collegiettes know how to keep up with the latest and greatest.

1. Evernote
Here’s just what you need to keep on top of your busy schedule. Evernote syncs your notes and appointments from all of your devices into one single location. You can record audio, save and share files, create lists, capture images, access files and so much more. It’s a great tool that I love taking to class. You’ll be able to record your professor’s lectures and download files from Angel. This app makes note taking and studying so much easier. Best part of all? It’s free.

2. Sleep by MotionX
This utility is well worth the small price tag. Place your device on your nightstand by your bed before you go to sleep and this app will monitor and analyze your sleep cycles. Features include an intelligent alarm clock that has the ability to wake you up at an optimal time in your sleep cycle, a heart rate monitor that works with your phone’s camera to detect the pulse from your fingertip, and even a pedometer. Although it sounds like weird science, it’s unbelievably accurate. Give it a try and wake up feeling refreshed.

3. Overgram
If you swear by Instagram, you’ll love Overgram. It takes your photo editing to a whole new level by allowing you to add text to your pictures. The fonts are gorgeous and the features are free.

4. Girl Scout Cookie Locator
I threw this one in for good measure. After all, who doesn’t love a good Girl Scout cookie? This app will help you locate the goods when you’re stressed with exams or just need a reminder of home. You won’t find those in the dining hall…

5. Uber
How many times have you left a party in the middle of the night and stepped outside to find the temperature absolutely frigid? Nobody wants to endure such a freezing walk home. Uber, a free app, finds you a cab nearby. But that’s not all. This app lets your driver know exactly where to pick you up and lets you know how long it’s going to take until they arrive. At the end of your ride, you can even pay by credit card right on your phone if you’re low on cash in your wallet. It could not be simpler.

6. New York Subway Map
This free app is a necessity for all who are aiming for internships this summer in the city that never sleeps. Even if you are from the area, the New York Subway system is one of the world’s most complicated inventions. Use this tool to navigate your way through the city’s underground. It will provide you with the quickest routes, taking into consideration the time of day you are traveling. You’ll never be late to a meeting again.

7. Groupon
Groupon, what a game changer. On nights when you and your friends want to go out on the town, check out this app first. It allows you to pre-purchase coupons for restaurants, spas, wine tasting, fitness classes and even vacations (spring break, anyone?). The deals you’ll have access to with this free app will save you between 50- 90 percent each time.

8. Keek
Keek is a free app that allows you to post videos for all of your friends to see. Similar to the Twitter timeline, you will have access to viewing short videos of all the people you follow. It provides you with a unique opportunity to peek into the personal lives of all of your favorite celebrities as they post short videos throughout the day. Keek makes you feel just like you are one of the Kardashians.

Photo Credit: http://marissagemmeken.tumblr.com

Rachel Elman is currently a senior at Penn State University majoring in public relations and minoring in international studies. She recently returned from a semester abroad studying at the University of Sydney, Australia. Rachel plans to become a publicist in the entertainment industry. Follow her journey at @RachelElman on Twitter and Instagram!
Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.