Musical Performances That Kept the BJC Boomin’ at THON 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you happened to be at THON this past weekend, you may have noticed that music was a big part of the annual event.

With THON being 46 hours long, it’s inevitable that the will crowd get tired, especially during the late-night hours. This is exactly the perfect reason why THON incorporates musical performances throughout the event to keep the energy up and attendees dancing.

THON 2024 was a great year of musical performances, so here are some of the ones who brought the BJC to life.

go go gadjet

This performance blew the crowd away.

Go Go Gadjet provided throwbacks that brought Penn State students and dancers back to their childhoods.

The band made their fourth appearance at THON and it’s safe to say that students want them back again next year.

The band covered countless 2000s classics such as “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers, “Lose Yourself” by Eminem and “Crazy in Love” by Beyonce and Jay-Z. The band took fans all over the place musically, transitioning flawlessly between upbeat party songs to slower, more meaningful songs.

Go Go Gadjet rocked the BJC and successfully hyped up the crowd to get through the final stretch of THON Weekend.

Instagram Post from Onward State
Walk on mars

Let’s just say Walk on Mars knew how to bring the BJC to life on Saturday night.

Lead singer Mary Jo Swank brought the punk-rock vibe to THON attendees through her overall presence, talented vocals and song choices.

Walk on Mars covered songs like “Ain’t it Fun” by Paramore, “Cruel Summer” by Taylor Swift, “get him back!” by Olivia Rodrigo and several other well-known ballads.

The band also performed some originals, which continued to bring in a grunge-like feel that the performance was aiming for.

Even with the performance taking place around 30 hours into the dance marathon, Walk on Mars was able to wake up dancers and attendees and bring an infectious energy that continued throughout the night.

Instagram Post from Walk on Mars
adam and the armadillos

Adam and the Armadillos truly brought the country to THON this year.

The performance woke dancers and attendees up Sunday morning, giving them motivation to keep going in the final hours of THON 2024.

The band covered electric songs from artists such as Zach Bryan, Luke Combs and many others. They kept the energy high and kept the audience engaged, making them a fan favorite this past weekend.

Instagram Post from Onward State
Ted & the hi-fi’s

Another killer appearance from Ted McCloskey and Molly Countermine occurred at THON 2024.

The band has been well known for performing around State College the past decade, and this year’s performance is not their first rodeo with THON.

Performances from Ted & The Hi-Fi’s is always special, considering Countermine is a beloved Health & Human Development professor here at Penn State.

The band plays throwbacks, most of which are songs from students’ childhoods. Their performance Saturday kept dancers and attendees dancing the night away, making it one of the most memorable performances of the weekend.

Instagram Post from Onward State

Overall, this years THON was one to remember. From music performances to breaking another record of raising $16.95 million for Four Diamonds, THON was full of surprises this year.

I, for one, am counting down the days until THON Weekend 2025!

Allie is a PSU student studying Public Relations & minoring in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Management. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, traveling, reading, and painting!