This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Weekends are a time for rest, relaxation and recharging. For nights when you don’t want to go out, it can become the perfect time for self-care. 

Whether you’re alone, with your roommates or with your partner, staying-in can be fun! 

Cooking dinner or ordering takeout, your favorite dessert and your favorite movie sounds like a perfect night in. 

Picking a movie can take up half the night, and you find yourself watching 1,000 movie trailers without watching an actual movie. So, here is a list of good movies that would work for any cozy night in. 

If you’re feeling nostalgic, you can watch your favorite Disney Channel Original Movies, like “Starstruck,” “High School Musical” or “16 Wishes.” 

You can also watch the cheesy but cute, Netflix rom-coms like the “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” series.

If you’re in the mood for an early 2000s rom-com, watch “She’s the Man,” “13 going on 30,” “How to Lose a Guy in 10 days” or “A Walk to Remember.” 

More 2000s movies, “Legally Blonde,” “The Princess Diaries,” “Aquamarine,” “Wild Child” or “The Proposal.”

Want to watch a scary movie? Try “The Conjuring,” “Insidious” or “Sinister.” There are many options for the level of scary you want to watch, whether it’s a cult classic like “Scream” or something pretty scary like “Hereditary.” 

Maybe you want more of a psychological thriller or something with a bit of mystery, even if just a fun, simple one. Watch “Knives Out,” “Gone Girl,” “Bones and All,” “Nancy Drew,” or the “Murder Mystery” movies. 

Maybe you want to do a fun 80s movie night, watch “16 Candles,” “Pretty in Pink” and “Breakfast Club.” Honestly, anything with Molly Ringwald. 

Or try “Can’t Buy Me Love,” “Adventures in Babysitting” or “Risky Business.”

Again for nostalgia’s sake, watch your favorite Disney movies like “Sleeping Beauty,” “Cinderella,” “Big Hero 6” or the “Parent Trap.” 

If you want something sad to make you cry, try “La La Land, Seven Pounds,” “Beautiful Boy,” “Moonlight” or “Brokeback Mountain.” 

More romantic movies, since that’s what I prefer to watch: “About Time,” “27 Dresses,” “Little Women,” “Pride & Prejudice” or “Warm Bodies.” 

If you want a musical or movies with musical numbers, you can watch “Hairspray,” “Les Miserables,” “Pitch Perfect,” “Mamma Mia,” “Rocketman” or “Bohemian Rhapsody.”

Since “The Hunger Games” are having a renaissance, any of those four movies is perfect for any night in or rainy day. 

To continue with the action and adventure genre, you can try award-winning movies “Everything Everywhere All at Once” or “All Quiet on the Western Front.” 

Other options could include the “Indiana Jones” movies, the “Mummy” movies, or movies like “Interstellar,” “The Goonies” and more.

There are so many other movies besides the ones on this list. If you’re unsure what to pick, maybe this list gave you the exact movie you wanted. If not, maybe some inspiration for the type of movie or genre you want to watch. 

Staying in can sometimes be hard, especially when your other friends decide to go out. To combat the FOMO, you’ll need a good lineup of movies to keep yourself busy.

So grab your favorite snack, dessert and blanket, and get comfy for a good night of great movies.

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.