Macy and Mom
Macy and Mom
Original photo bymMacy Miskiewicz

Mom, I Wrote an Article About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Dear Mom,

I”m not quite sure how to kick this off. I sit here, staring at my laptop’s blinking cursor, at an utter loss for words. I suppose we’ll start at the very beginning – August 6th, 2002. May I say, what a day! While I like to think I entered this world as a tiny seven pound, eleven ounce intellectual, I’m sure I didn’t have too much on my mind. Little did I know, I had just been blessed with the greatest gift and best friend in the entire world – you.

As much as I like to think that I am the perfect daughter, I know I’m not. Over the years I’ve come to realize that I can be a tad lazy, I’m in desperate need of a swear jar, and I’m probably responsible for at least half of the gray hair on your head. I’m working on fixing these traits, I promise. I know that I was never perfect, nor will I ever be; yet you’ve shown me an inexplicable amount of love despite all of my shortcomings. Your continuous love is truly astonishing – you amaze me.

Mom, I want you to know that everything I am today is because of you. I cannot imagine where I’d be in life without you. I wish I could gather all that you taught me, tie it up with a big red ribbon, and pass it on to my daughter someday. Let me tell you, she would be one well-prepared woman. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there, sure, but I know in my heart that you have endowed me with the tools to get through whatever challenges I may face. For that, I am eternally grateful. In my whopping 19 years on this planet, I’ve never encountered another person who exudes grace, perseverance, strength, radiance, and love quite the way you do. To become half the woman you are would be a great success.

To know I am loved by you is life’s greatest blessing, Mom. I truly wish there was a way to repay you for all that you’ve done for me. I am struggling to wrap my head around how lucky I am; I truly hit the lottery in the parent department. Thank you for being my rock, my therapist, my shoulder to cry on, and my absolute best friend in the whole entire galaxy. I love you with every piece of my being.

We’ve gone on the greatest adventures, shared some of the greatest memories, and made our mark on this world as the best mother-daughter duo of all time. That’s pretty fantastic if you ask me. Words truly cannot convey my gratitude, my love, my thanks, my appreciation, and my admiration. It only felt right to dedicate a piece of my little corner of the internet to you. Thank you, Mom.

Love always,

Macy

Macy is a Pittsburgh, PA native with a passion for reading, writing, tree-hugging and music. She is pursuing a major in Biobehavioral Health, while double minoring in English and Sustainability Leadership on the Humanities Track. Outside of Her Campus, Macy spends her time with her golden retrievers and her camera.