“Marvel’s Iron Fist” Kicks Back With A Vengeance in Season 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Get your swords and boxing gloves out because The Immortal Iron Fist has made his triumphant return to Netflix on Sept. 7. After the reception season one got by critics and fans alike, this season had a lot to make up for and it certainly did!

This season of the Iron Fist features familiar faces from season one like The Iron Fist/Danny Rand played by Finn Jones, Colleen Wing played by Jessica Henwick, Davos played by Sacha Dhawan as well as season newcomers Simone Missick as Misty Knight and Mary Walker played by Alice Eve.

Season two of “Marvel’s Iron Fist” picks up after the shocking events of “Marvel’s The Defenders” season one. Danny now lives with Colleen Wing at her Dojo turned apartment. Danny has become much more volatile as he struggles with the task of fulfilling Matt Murdock’s aka Daredevil’s “final wish” to protect his city.

In the beginning of the season Danny becomes obsessed with powering up his iron fist to release his anger and tirelessly fight the Golden Tigers street gang. Danny, like in season one, still struggles with his identity. He is constantly trying to figure out who he is as a person and as a superhero.

Throughout the season the audience gets to experience Danny’s identity struggles with him. This aspect makes him much more relatable and likable, something that season one failed to do.  

Season two also makes better use of Colleen Wing, another martial artist who previously fought for the Hand, an evil group of mystical ninjas. The show also expands on Wing’s budding friendship with Detective Misty Knight, one of the stars from Marvel’s successful Netflix show Luke Cage.

“Marvel’s the Iron Fist” season two also covers the very serious topic of mental illness with Mary Walker. Walker is a former member of the U.S army who suffers from PTSD and has Dissociative Identity Disorder. Watching this character unravel and deal with her mental illness throughout the series is one of the most interesting parts of the season.

This season was a pivotal moment for the Marvel Netflix Universe. No direct spoilers here, but the powers of the Immortal Iron Fist has changed hands, quite literally. Superheroes passing the torch onto another hero is very common in the comic book world.

However, I personally find it very annoying as a viewer to associate a superhero with a specific character and then see the title get passed off to someone else. It is a bit of a slap in the face to the viewer.

Danny Rand no longer being the official Iron Fist is the studio’s easy answer to the backlash they received during season one for Danny Rand being played by a white man. The original Iron Fist in the comics is a white man, but based on the presence of Asian culture throughout the show, many people felt the role should’ve gone to an actor of Asian descent.

This season of “Marvel’s Iron Fist” gets straight to the action and is very fast paced, unlike the first season. Season two is genuinely interesting from start to finish with amazing action sequences, interesting characters and dialogue. Viewers who hated season one should definitely give this show another chance.

This season gets a 4 out of five stars from me. All 10 episodes are currently streaming on Netflix.

Your neighborhood Marvel nerd who loves music and writing.