This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Congrats! You’re done all the projects and studying, and you made in through finals. Finally, the semester is over and you are home for a long, relaxing winter break. But, now what?

if you’re like me, you probably feel a bit lost when you get home for break. It is great getting to see family and friends, but sometimes you still feel the need to do something productive as that is all you’ve felt throughout your semester.

Because of this, I’d like to offer a few simple things you could do over the break in order to feel more productive and benefit yourself in the long run.

One thing you could do is begin/continue your search for a summer internship. Whether this includes researching companies to intern at or submitting applications to specific positions, pursuing a summer internship is a great way to benefit your future self while you have some free time over winter break.

Even if you have no idea where to look when it comes to an internship, you can take smaller steps like updating your resume or working on a cover letter.

Another thing you could do with your free time over winter break is apply for a Maymester abroad. Depending on when your university has applications due, winter break may be the perfect time to get yours done and assure you will get to travel to your dream destination this upcoming summer.

You could also work some small gigs in order to make some extra cash for the spring semester. For most, winter break isn’t necessarily long enough to get hired at a part-time job. Even so, making money is still possible.

These small gigs could include things like babysitting, petsitting or doing some chores for family members or neighbors. Even doing something just a few days a week could make you a decent amount of spending money to use during the upcoming semester.

Reading a book is another good way to pass the time. This may be something you don’t have time to do throughout the semester due to a heavy course load and/or lots of extracurriculars. So, reading a book is a way to spend some of your time over break that may fuel your brain more than watching T.V. or scrolling through your phone.

The most important thing you can do over break that will benefit your well-being is, of course, RELAX! After a tough semester, it is important to spend the downtime that winter break allows you to recover. Take a nap, watch movies and do whatever you need to do to fully decompress from all the hard work you did while at college.

Of course, many of these tips are obvious and may have already been on your to-do list. But sometimes it’s good to remind yourself of all the ways you can utilize your winter break and improve your life and welfare in the long run.

But whatever you do, I hope everyone reading this has a fun and fulfilling winter break ahead!

hi! i'm a junior advertising major with minors in photography and dmta at psu:)