Levels Nightclub: 18 & over Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

College Ave. on the weekends is crazy. LEVELS, formally known as the Mez, is the new up-and-coming club
in Penn State’s nightlife. Their slogan, “Raising the bar to a whole new level!” goes perfectly with not only the name, but its design. This music-raging venue is located at 420 E. College Ave, perfect for all the Loop takers and late night munchers (it’s near McDonalds). LEVELS is the only club in University Park that offers 18 and over nights, which are Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Since I am personally a member for the “Under 21” club, I decided to experience this club for all those who like moving to the music, but aren’t quite ready to hit up the bars.

To begin, the cover charge for Levels is $10 dollars. Ten dollars for any college student is just a little pricey. My attire for the night consisted of black leggings and a cute top–this club isn’t worth using your best “going out” outfit. I entered LEVELS around 11, which is usually the time when the party starts. Well, let’s just say that the party took a little effort from my part, in order for it to start. This venue was completely deserted, let alone very separated. LEVELS is separated into the first floor (Dance floor) and the second floor (Main Bar). The stairs leading to the second floor are always guarded by security. This puts a big restriction on how one has fun. How would you like people just looking down on you from the top floor and possibly laugh at your dance moves? I understand the under 21-no alcohol issue, but at the same time, it feels like instead of being at one party, there are two parties going on under the same roof.

Although the “levels” of this club were so irritating, LEVELS still has a few good attributes.
As the night went on, a few people came in but they stuck in their little groups and mingled. My friends and I took charge of the dance floor. LEVELS hosts several deejay’s throughout the week, playing a variety of music but mostly House and remixes of other songs. All of the people that were just standing around could feel the energy coming from me and my friends. Slowly, we got people on their feet, and the dance floor was semi-filled.

In conclusion, LEVELS can be a hit or miss. This club has really good tools that, if used correctly, can produce a great night. Even though no one had energy in the beginning, my friends and I didn’t let that get us down. You decide how your night will turn out.  

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.