This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

College is the greatest time to pull out all your favorite dresses, high waist skirts and of course, heels. As the weekend comes around, our outfits are already set to be put on so we can rock the streets of State College. There is only one problem with this scenario: How can we walk those streets without harming ourselves with every step we take in those 6 inch heels? As much as appearance is believed to matter in society, the consequences of beauty sometimes just aren’t worth it.

In the fashion world, a model must take on all measures to become as beautiful as possible. Tall, pretty, and slim are all characteristic that would entail this idea of beauty. College female students tend to have the urge to conform to the idea of looking “hot” to attract that boy who’s watching them from across the room. Don’t get me wrong, it’s always fun letting lose and dolling yourself up. The only disappointing part is that as much as the high heel has become a fashion staple, kidshealth.org says it has turned into one of the leading causes for ankle injuries in women. 

High heels challenge balance and bring about repercussions throughout different parts of our body such as in our back, knees, ankles, hips, skin and toes. According to The Huffington Post, if high heels are worn daily it can cause calf muscles to shorten by up to 13 percent, leading those muscles to become stressed and limit the mobility of the ankle.

Moreover, the pressure that is put on the knees when a person’s leg propels forward while wearing heels causes major tension, and according to yahoo.com, later raises the likelihood of contracting arthritis by 25 percent. Not only do high heels cause issues to muscles and bones, but also can deform your feet. Every girl has experienced the annoying and painful blister on the back of their foot, and if that blister never heals, boy is it painful — and ugly.  

In an article on ehow.com, Holly Thompson states that though high heels help raise your buttocks by 40 degrees, they don’t provide a safe foundation for the person wearing them.

Let’s be honest, many of us have walked into the party with our heels strapped on tight, yet somehow end up taking them off and walking home barefoot. During that time, the bacteria that is on the floor from other people is quickly sinking into the pores of your feet. Yuck. In this case, one option is to invest in a pair of Dr. Scholl’s For Her Fast Foldable Flats. Available at most pharmacy stores, this slip-on shoe slips into your purse just as easily as it does on your foot, leaving you bacteria and sprain free. 

In addition to all of the exhaustion high heels can cause, they also make you that much more unbalanced after all of the margarita madness. Don’t worry — you can still strut your stuff and stay safe by choosing a different type of heel. Start by buying more wedged heels. These heels are shaped with a platform that give the foot a stable ground without forcing the feet to be pointed at all times. Since the sole of the shoe is connected together from front to back, it makes them easier to walk in because it distributes balance to all parts of the foot.

At the end of the day, beauty is pain. No matter what way the abnormal shoe is worn, some damage will have been done to the body. Peronsally, it was a sprained ankle that changed my perception of high heels; I realized they were doing more harm than good. But, a shoe shouldn’t have to help you get the guy of your dreams. Impress him by dancing all night in a safer form of shoe!

Keep that in mind next time you slip in your stilettos, ladies. 

Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.