I’m Honestly Not A Big Fan of Chocolate, and Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I know, I know. How could you not like chocolate? That’s probably the first question that came to your head as you read this, or maybe you agree. But I never actually said I didn’t like it, I’m just not a big fan.

To be honest, I think chocolate is overrated. Most people act like it saves the day and fixes all of their problems. For me, it always feels like there is something better out there. Like fruit. I’m not even kidding, but I won’t get into that. 

With it being the “month of love,” chocolate sales are about to skyrocket. Maybe it’s that people just associate chocolate with Valentine’s Day, but I think sour candy is the way to go. I mastered eating a Warhead candy back in elementary school.

One of my favorite holidays that involves so much chocolate is Halloween. Simply because it is one of the greatest nights of the year during any American child’s growing years. As Spencer Reid once said, “The cool thing about Halloween is that it’s a uniquely American holiday.”

You get so much chocolate and candy that if you space it outright, it can last you months. But don’t get me wrong, I’ve had my fair share of terrible Halloween nights, like the one year I broke my foot on Halloween.

That year my parents made my siblings give me some of their candy, and they were less than willing to hand over their chocolate pieces. Back then I probably would’ve been upset that they didn’t want to, but now I don’t mind at all.

You might be wondering why I don’t like chocolate as much as everyone else, but honestly, I don’t even know why. The taste is good and it could be so nice to have after a long day of school work. But, it just isn’t the same as it used to be. Growing up I had the biggest sweet tooth, resulting in at least a few cavities.

And don’t even get me started on dark chocolate — because that is a chocolate overload. Dark chocolate was made for chocolate lovers, who then turned it into some sort of health craze where everything from popcorn to strawberries is covered in dark chocolate.

My grandma can’t even go to bed without having a piece. There is just some chocolate that is too much chocolate in one place, like pure chocolate bars, chocolate cake and even chocolate ice cream. 

I never said I hated chocolate, I’m just not as obsessed with it as other people are. But here are some of my favorite chocolate candies if I had to choose them: a good cup of hot chocolate on a cold day is one of the best things to warm me up, a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup is one of my favorites and homemade chocolate chip cookies are the best. 

Chocolate in moderation is the way to go for me. It keeps it exciting but is never an overload, exactly how it should be. 

Sophia is a junior majoring in Public Relations at Penn State University. She loves watching movies, listening to music, and hanging out with her friends.