How to Survive (and Even Thrive) While Taking Early Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This semester, I had to take my first 8 a.m. class of my college career. While I’ve done everything I could up until this point to avoid it, this class only has one section that is always offered at this time.

I aspire to be a morning person, but no matter how much sleep I get, I always feel exhausted in the morning. However, now that this class has forced me to become somewhat of a morning person, I’ve made some lifestyle changes to help adapt.

If you’re in a similar boat, here is what I have done to succeed while taking an 8 a.m.

Do Everything the Night Before

If you’re waking up early, the last thing you want to do is to waste precious time trying to figure out what you’re going to wear or what you’re eating for breakfast.

That’s why it’s so important to make sure you do as much work the night before as possible. Before I go to bed, I make sure my clothes are laid out, my morning skincare is ready on my desk and a snack is already packed in my backpack.

That way, you can spend just a little more time sleeping in instead of scrambling to get everything ready.

Sunrise Alarm Clock

I am of the mindset that changing your habits shouldn’t cost any money. But as someone who sleeps through fire alarms, I knew I needed a better way to wake myself up.

I got the Hatch Restore for Christmas, and it has truly changed my life. Instead of waking you up abruptly, it slowly wakes you up by brightening the light, mimicking a sunrise. Especially in the winter, when the sun doesn’t come up by 7 a.m., it has helped me wake up feeling refreshed and less tired.

I’m not telling you to spend $130 on an alarm clock. There are tons of cheaper options if you want to give it a try, such as this one.

Plan Your Other Classes Accordingly

Sometimes 8 a.m. classes are unavoidable, but planning your other classes around that early class can be helpful.

If you usually take afternoon classes, making sure you have time to go home and take a nap might be important for you. Or you may like taking morning classes and you make sure you have classes right after so that you keep your momentum.

On the days I have my 8 a.m., I only have one other class at 1:25. While I usually hope to get work done in this gap between classes, most of the time I end up catching up on some sleep.

However you work best, make sure your schedule gives you the best chance of success.

Establish a Night Routine

When I scheduled my 8 a.m. class for this semester, I had so many people tell me “just go to bed early.” However, it’s not always possible to be in bed by 10 p.m.

A better alternative is creating a nighttime routine that makes you excited to go to bed. Something as simple making sure you wear your favorite pajamas or brewing some tea gives you something to look forward to at the end of the day.

For me, I look forward to going to bed after a long day because I have a routine that makes me excited to sleep. There’s something about doing my skincare and getting into pajamas after a long day that helps me transition into getting ready to go to bed.

Find Something to look forward to

8 a.m. classes are hard, but finding a reason to go makes it easier. While some people feel motivated by being present at every class, that isn’t always the case.

Whether it be going to Starbucks and getting a fun drink or planning a cute outfit for the day, find a reason to get out of bed (because that’s always the hardest part).

For me, I usually go right to Panera after my 8 a.m. Even if I don’t buy something, it offers a nice change of scenery where I can get some work done.

While they may not be ideal, 8 a.m. classes help you get a productive start to your day earlier. And even if you’re really against the idea of them, you only have to deal with the class for one semester.

Emma is a junior from Randolph, New Jersey, double majoring in journalism and human development and family studies with a minor in addictions and recovery. When she's not writing you can find her watching "Big Brother," drinking Diet Coke or trying to explain internet drama to her dad.