This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

College is tough. There’s no doubt about it. Whether you’re struggling to keep up in STAT 200 or you aren’t getting along with your roommate, college doesn’t typically let anyone get off easy.

While these four years are created to push you out of your comfort zone, it’s okay to still rely on the people that provide a safe harbor in the thunderstorm that college can be. You could be one hour away or across the world from your friends back home, but they will always be the people looking out for you and the ones reminding you how far you’ve come.

Different lifestyles, time zone changes and new schedules make it hard to prioritize old friends, but technology makes it easy to keep track of these relationships. Here are five ways to stay in-touch with your pals from home.

schedule times to talk every week

This might sound like a no-brainer, but having a scheduled time to sit down and talk to your long-distance BFF is really important. It could be five minutes or two hours, but knowing that you are making time for each other reminds you that your relationship is still meaningful.

This, by no means, has to be the only time you talk each week, but if it is the only time, then you know that time is built into your schedule for a reason.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY1kYkLoUQP/?utm_medium=copy_link https://www.instagram.com/p/CY1kYkLoUQP/?utm_medium=copy_link

have story times

This one is my personal favorite.

Sometimes, it can be hard to talk with your long-distance friends because you feel as though there isn’t anything relevant to share with each other. Small things can feel futile and inconsequential when they don’t have any significance to your friends back home.

However, I make it a priority to have “story times” with my close friends from home when funny or interesting things happen throughout my day. I use the Snapchat video feature to essentially “vlog” when I’m walking to or from a class and have some time to spare. I love receiving these videos from my friends and I get so excited when my long-distance friends want to share something about their day with me.

become old school pen pals

This might be a stretch for some people, but having a pen pal is truly so exciting. One of my good friends that goes to Auburn decided that she wanted us to become pen pals. I was so excited to have a pen pal, considering I love nothing more than getting mail at school.

We have kept this up for two years now and exhange letters to each other about every month. It is a great way to show that you care about a friendship when you dedicate thoughtful time to writing a letter.

plan to visit each other

There isn’t anything we love more than sleeping on a deflated mattress or sharing a twin sized bed. Just kidding.

But really, while sleepover arrangements aren’t ideal in college, it is so fun to visit your long-distance friends at their schools. These visits give you a chance to meet their friends, check out their new lifestyles and spend quality time together.

create a photo dump instagram account

Make Instagram casual again! I’ve fallen victim to the “photo dump” account trend and I actually really love it. It is so fun to create a new Instagram account dedicated solely to posting casual, unedited pictures of life without the expectations of a perfect filter or pose.

This is also a great way to highlight “real life” in a way that social media often omits. If you can’t find the time to talk or visit with your far-away friends, creating accounts like these helps you still feel connected to each other in an unfiltered way.

Keeley is a first-year journalism major from Richmond, Va. and is one of Her Campus at Penn State's associate editors. She is a lover of grilled cheese, sports, and Kevin Jonas. If you would like to discuss the superior Jonas Brother, feel free to contact her on Twitter @lammkeeley.