How To Host A Friendsgiving: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again when photos and videos of Friendsgiving start trending online. If you are the host of your friend group and want another excuse to get all your friends together and celebrate your friendship, here are some tips to host a Friendsgiving in college.

Decide On A Budget

If we all had loads of money, we would probably have our Thanksgiving catered. However, college students tend to be on the broker side of the spectrum, and not everyone can afford a picture-perfect Thanksgiving spread.

Deciding on a budget with friends can help stop one person from spending too much money, and also allows everyone to pitch in.

Choose A Location

College apartments and dorm rooms tend to be rather small. If you hope to invite a larger number of friends, try to find a larger location around campus, such as common rooms or student union buildings.

If you are fortunate enough to go to a warmer university, try turning your Friendsgiving into a picnic-style get-together.

Plan The Menu

To ensure that no one brings the same dish, have everyone claim the dish they want to bring.

Do not feel pressured to keep the food Thanksgiving-themed, as most college apartments do not usually have the proper dish or a large enough oven to cook a turkey. Besides, food is not nearly as important as spending quality time with friends.

Don’t Forget The Drinks

Maybe you are the friend that burns boxed mac and cheese or exclusively eats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. If you are unsure what dish to bring, offer to provide the drinks. Picking up a case of water or a couple of jugs of apple cider can be just as useful; just do not forget the cups!

If no one claims the drinks, offer to make the event “bring your own beverage.”

What Will You Eat On?

While showing up to a Friendsgiving and realizing no one brought plates and utensils can make a fun memory, it’s a lot harder to eat everything with just your hands. If someone is not sure what to bring, suggest they find some fall-inspired plates and napkins.

Decorations

If you are looking for an easy way to elevate your Friendsgiving, find some cheap decorations from Walmart or Amazon. When your Friendsgiving is over, put them in a box and save them for next year so you do not have to buy new decorations.

Utilize Leftovers

If your Friendsgiving is post-Thanksgiving, ask your family if you can bring the leftovers back to school. Hosting a Friendsgiving with everyone’s Thanksgiving leftovers can be a great money-saving hack for your dinner.

Friendsgiving is a wonderful way to celebrate with your college friends over a shared meal. It can also be a great time to come together and show gratitude for the people in your life. If you’re planning a Friendsgiving this year, be sure to plan ahead, create a budget and enjoy spending time with your friends.

Sydney is a senior at Penn State University majoring in Telecommunications with a minor in Digital Media Trends & Analytics. In her free time, she enjoys reading, trying new recipes, sports, and discovering new places to visit.