This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Whether you call it hell week or finals week, we all can understand how stressful finals week can be. When you and your roommate are stressed out and busy, you may not always be the best roommates to each other. Your arguments could be about chores, being loud, or having too many people over.

Here are a few friendly reminders of how to remain a good roommate even when you’re busy and stressed about finals.

Do Your Part

Everyone is busy! That does not exclude us from doing our part in the apartment or dorm. Now, if you are on your last leg, part of doing your part is letting your roommates know.

You are too busy to do the dishes for the next couple of days? Let them know! You may even come to an agreement to let chores slide altogether during finals week. Your roommate might be able to pick up the slack and knock your chores out too. However, none of this can happen if you do not communicate with them.

Lower Your Volume

Now we all like to blast tunes as much as the next person, but finals week is not the time to blast your speaker. Instead, try using your AirPods in case your roommate needs some extra quiet time to study.

If you’re watching lectures on your laptop try to lower the volume in case your other roommates are trying to study as well. Most importantly, sleep is extremely important for finals week, so make sure not to keep your roommates up.

Stock Up On Supplies

This is by no means a requirement to be a good roommate, but it is a commendable act to do over finals week. Hopefully, you are friends with your roommates and want them to succeed just as much as you. Consider stocking up on flashcards and highlighters for the whole group! This may motivate all of you to put in just a little bit more work before your finals and make your home a positive and motivating environment.

Leave Them Encouraging Notes

My freshmen roommate used to leave me notes all around our dorm when she knew I was stressed out. It honestly made my day feel just a little bit lighter. It was also a constant reminder that she cared about me and our friendship. Now not everyone likes encouraging notes, but focusing on what might encourage your roommates will go a long way.

Chef It Up

Chances are over finals week you and your roommates may not be eating right or much at all. Take care of each other and try to plan a couple of dinners over the week to make sure everyone is taking care of themselves. Try to distribute the work and pick a fast and cost-efficient meal.

Respect Study Time

If you’re close to your roommates, it can be difficult to have quiet time inside your home. You may want to chat with your roommate about your day and how hard your finals are. However, remember to let each other focus on your studies. Try having quiet hours or be mindful of when your roommate’s exams are throughout the week.

Take a Brain Break Together

While studying is extremely important during finals week, so is your mental health. Organizing a couple of destressing activities during finals week can go a long way.

Give each other a timeline of when you each are available and set something up! Listen to a meditation podcast together, or go on a walk to destress. Some people also love going to the gym after a stressful day. Whatever you decide, try to lean toward an activity connected with wellness.

Offer To Help Each Other Study

‘Tis the season of flashcard making. While you’re making those flashcards, ask your roommate if they want to quiz you then vice versa. This helps keep each other accountable and responsible. Pull those highlighters out and give it a go. You may find that your roommate is a great study buddy if you normally do not study together.

Support Your Roommates

Let the people in your lives know how much you care about them! Try and tell them how proud you are of their progress, and that you are rooting for them. College all around can make you feel disappointed and drained. Being that light for someone can make all the difference in the world.

Take finals head-on and support your roommates along with you!

I am a 3rd-year undergraduate student pursuing a Bachelor of Science in economics at Penn State. I am very excited to be a part of Her Campus!