How to Stay Productive When You’re Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As modern-aged college women, time waits for no one… even during cold and flu season. I don’t know about you, but when I’m sick, I find it nearly impossible to do anything. With clubs, jobs, school and many other people relying on us, we can’t take the same type of sick days that we did in high school. Even if you find some people to take notes for you in that day’s classes, the work can still become overwhelming so staying productive is essential. For these reasons, I’ve decided to give you some helpful tips on how to be productive on the days you feel under the weather:

1. Take a hot shower before you begin your work

This is something that’s always recommended when you’re sick, because when you’re sick, your temperature rises to help sweat out some of the toxins. When your body does this, it gives you a burst of energy. If you’re suffering from congestion, the hot water can also clear your sinuses just long enough for you to get started on your work. The energy spike only lasts for a couple hours, though, which is important to consider when choosing which project you are going to begin working on. Another helpful tip is adding essential oils to burst your mood.

2. Put on warm clothes when working from your bed

We all know the go-to place to do anything when your sick is from the comfort of your bed, but often times the most comfortable position is underneath a pile of blankets. This is an effective position for watching YouTube videos, sleeping and thinking about the problems in the world; however, this is no way to get work done. Unfortunately, to write emails and work on classwork, you need to sit up and have your hands free. In order to do this, wear comfortable, warm sweaters and layers, and if you’re extra boujee, break out that Snuggie you regret buying fives years ago.

3. Drink coffee

Yes, coffee can still help you when you’re sick. Many doctors don’t recommend coffee because of the simple fact that it dehydrates the body, but your body won’t dehydrate if your water intake surpasses your coffee intake. So if you still need that extra boost and a hot shower isn’t enough, coffee is fine – just drink three times the amount of water.  

4. Know your limits

This goes for both sides of the scale: do the amount you can handle and don’t take on too much. Speaking out of personal experience, sometimes when trying to stay productive we overextend ourselves to try to not appear weak. You might think this makes you look bad, but it looks even worse when you can’t complete what other people are relying on or something that you need for your own success. Trust me, people are a lot more understanding if you talk to them ahead of time, rather than just not doing what you need to do. As long as you’re not making it a habit, they’ll most likely understand.

5. Accept help

This is something that’s hard for many of us because we want to prove ourselves. However, any help during a task – whether it’s splitting up work or allowing someone to bring you soup – can make all the difference, and it makes everything a little less stressful as you’re fighting off your illness.

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.