How to Stay Motivated During the Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s week seven of the semester and your enthusiasm on returning to Happy Valley has faded. You’re tired, hungry, and probably smell because you haven’t had time to shower because of your three exams and two essays – all due on the same day, of course. It’s hard to see past the mid-semester hump you’re currently crawling up, but don’t worry – you’ll make it out alive.

To alleviate some of that stress and regain the motivation you lost somewhere around week five, try some of these suggestions on how to stay motivated and stress-free (at least until Winter Break):

1. Plan, plan, plan

Everyone has a lot going on during the middle of the semester: classes are rolling with constant work, clubs and organizations are in full swing, and everyone has a sudden urge to drink a bottle of wine to themselves (ok, maybe two bottles of wine). The best way to make sure you stay on top of it all is to write everything down in your planner or calendar – and I mean everything. Exams, assignments, meetings and even your weekend plans – having everything planned out gives you a visual on what you need to do and when you need to have it done by. It also allows you to prioritize and honestly just feel in control. Remember: the more organized you are, the less likely you’ll feel like ripping your hair out!

2. Two words: Study groups

Trying to prepare for an exam alone can be stressful and leave you feeling unmotivated, especially if the material is difficult. By organizing a study group, you have an automatic support system to help you with things you may not understand. Being around other people working will also motivate you to want to do your work – and you can all take a break together to cry about how impossible the exam will definitely be.

3. Meditate

Every morning, the first thing you should do is meditate. It’ll set your brain up for the day and get you feeling positive bright and early. Meditation is a great way to stay motivated and reduce your stress, and by sitting with yourself in reflection for 10-20 minutes a day, you may find yourself becoming more focused, less anxious and more aware of who you are and what makes you tick. Remember: meditation takes practice, so don’t give up on the first try (trust me, I’ve been there).

4. Maintain a healthy lifestyle

Lastly, to be more motivated you need to fuel your fire! By that I mean eating the right food for you and working your body. It’s way too easy to eat unhealthy in college (been there, still there). Between all the work and activities you have to do, it’s almost impossible to think that you might have time in the day to cook a proper meal. Truthfully, you probably won’t have time every day to make something healthy, but what you can do is meal prep. If you were to take time out of one day and make enough food for the week, you would have a healthy alternative to choose from. As far as exercise goes, you don’t need to drag yourself to the gym every day; doing little things like walking instead of taking the bus or taking the stairs instead of the elevator can make a difference in your life.

Hope this helps you get over that mid-semester slump, collegiettes!

From Fairfax, Virginia, Joanna Nicopoulos is a senior at The Pennsylvania State University majoring in public relations and minoring in international studies. When she's not focusing on school, she's either hiking, eating, binge watching her next favorite show or a combination of the three. She is an experienced shopaholic and loves to inspire others to be the best version of themselves. You can contact her on Instagram @jolenico.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.