How to Cure Football Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s been a rough two weeks for Penn State. With a 7-0 run, a White Out win against Michigan, and holding the No. 2 spot in the country, we had every right to be overjoyed and even a little cocky going into the last two conference games on the road. After last year’s Big 10 win and trip to the Rose Bowl, we’ve had our hopes up high for this season, and the last two weekends have left us in a cycle of anxiety and disappointment. It’s easy to feel let down, but don’t forget that our school is still the best. Here are eight ways to deal with the recent football depression:

1. Remember the good times

Remember how good we felt during that last play against Iowa? When we proved Corso right when College Game Day was in Happy Valley? When we found out that we would be Big 10 champions last year? There are so many good moments that we can turn to when we’re feeling down about a loss.

2. Watch videos of Saquon Barkley nonstop

Saquon is always the answer. His trademark leaps and never-ending Heisman moments never fail to make us smile even when it feels impossible. Watching a highlight reel is probably the best cure for the depression that hits after a conference loss.

3. Watch locker room videos to see how great our team is off the field

On and off the field, our Nittany Lions have a lot of heart. We always get a hilarious video with a glimpse into life in the locker room that we otherwise never get to see. From the mannequin challenge to Saquon catching grapes in his mouth, we can count on our favorite team’s humor and sense of camaraderie to lift us back up.

5. Prepare for the next couple of games

Win or lose, we have the best student section in the country. Instead of focusing on the games we can’t change, let’s get pumped for the ones we have left in Beaver Stadium. Start cutting up shirts, making tailgate plans, and getting hyped for the last two games of the season in the greatest student section in the greatest stadium in the country.

6. See how far we’ve come

When I was a freshman, we were still under sanctions. Joe Paterno’s wins hadn’t been restored, and we were far from the AP Top 25 poll. Since then, we’ve not only been ranked, but have risen to No. 2 and are back on the radar as one of the best teams in the country. Regardless of where we go from here, we can be insanely proud of the comeback Penn State has had and how far we’ve come in the past couple years.

7. Take a walk through campus

Penn State’s not all about football! We’ve got a ton to offer, including our beautiful campus that we love so much. After a tough loss, go for a walk through the campus and just remember how much better it is than any other school’s – it’s almost guaranteed to wipe away some of the football depression.

8. Remember it could be worse

It really could… we could be Rutgers.

9. When all else fails, head to Pman’s

Where you can be surrounded by tons of other mourning Penn State fans.

Becky Sorensen is a senior at Penn State, double majoring in Public Relations and Political Science. You can find her on campus with an iced coffee in one hand and an everything bagel in the other. Clear your schedule before asking her how she feels about the Harry Potter series, New York City, or about the next trip she’s planning - she tends to ramble. Loudly. You can follow her at @beckylalalaa on Twitter and @beckysorensen on Instagram for hilarious puns or her undying love for THON and Penn State football.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.