This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Springtime symbolizes beautiful, warm days. However, there’s usually an influx of torrential downpours that can put a damper on productivity. Currently, in State College, we have had a few rainy days already, and I have found myself just wanting to throw on a movie and relax. However, with finals approaching, we unfortunately still have to prioritize school work. Here are some things that can help boost your productivity.

Wake up early

Being a morning person is truly a game changer. You can have a more natural start to your day and get ready at your own pace. Also, you can accomplish a lot more before other college students even start their day. 

Get ready for the day

Getting ready for the day is important for any day, but especially rainy days. Picking out an outfit and putting on some makeup can help you start to embrace the day. Additionally, it helps you prioritize yourself before you begin to prioritize your schoolwork. 

Make a To-Do List 

I am a big planner. I love having a daily schedule that consists of a variety of things. For inspiration, some things that could give you a well-rounded day would be: completing schoolwork, working out, meetings with friends, meal planning, and self-care. 

Bake some goodies 

Baking can help be a helpful tool to do some “productive procrastination” as I call it. “Stress baking” is a common thing, and it helps you do something to take your mind off of schoolwork. Baking can also leave you with a treat for later, as a reward for being productive. 

Read leisurely

Reading has been something I have been trying to do more regularly. For personal experience, I will set a timer for thirty minutes. Timing your reading can give you a specific limit on how long you can read, so you can continue other tasks afterwards. 

Enjoy the rain

If you have a covered porch or an open window, it might be nice to take advantage and enjoy the rain. Thunderstorms have a specific, calming vibe to them that can help bring out refreshing feelings. I look at rain as being a symbolic reset to my emotions. It’s crucial to enjoy these little rainy moments while you have them. 

Call your family and friends 

Checking in with home can be important to do from time to time. I like to call my Nana during rainy days, because it can give me a break from schoolwork. Also, it helps me feel reconnected to my loved ones when I am away from home. 

Also, you can use a rainy day to call your friends at a different college. It is important to keep up these connections, because they are some of the most important ones. You can organize a Facetime date to catch up or study together.

Watch a Movie or Television Show

As I mentioned earlier, rainy days can make anyone unproductive. However, I think it is important to take a much needed break during rainy days. You can be productive and still have time to yourself. You can do this through watching a movie or your favorite Netflix show. 

All of these things can help you have a productive rainy day. Remember that there is always a rainbow after a rainy day, so make sure to take accountability for everyday. Hopefully, you can reorganize the structure of your days in order to make sure you are making the most of it. 

Health Policy and Administration student at Pennsylvania State University.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.