Her Campus PSU Celebrates International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For those of you who may not know, today marks the annual celebration of International Women’s Day. Here at Penn State and across the globe, people of all backgrounds are coming together to work toward the goal of empowering women. 

According to the United Nation’s official website, “International Women’s Day is a time to reflect on progress made, to call for change and to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in the history of their countries and communities.” 

As much as we hate to admit it, women’s inequality issues still exist in our modern era and can be seen everywhere from the school playground to the boardroom. The ever-present stereotypes and sickening generalizations will continue to prevail if we don’t work towards a change. It’s time we take matters into our own hands.   

I believe the current Secretary of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon (who happens to be a man, by the way), said it best:

“To be truly transformative, the post-2015 development agenda must prioritize gender equality and women’s empowerment. The world will never realize 100 percent of its goals if 50 percent of its people cannot realize their full potential. “

In an effort to spread awareness and share the message of women’s empowerment, the members of Her Campus Penn State spoke to the women of our very own university and started the discussion on what it means to be a woman and the most important qualities that we foster. Here are just a few examples of what they had to say:  

A big thanks to all of our fabulous participants!

HCXO,

Her Campus Penn State 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.