This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you’re like me, you enjoy keeping up-to-date with trends, planning outfits and shopping.  However, as I have gotten older, I have begun to realize that my fashion choices have major implications on the environment. 

In order to use my shopping addiction for good, I thrift and become more aware of where I am buying from. One of my favorite tools for this is the app called Good on You. The app reviews brands that cover everything from clothes, shoes, intimate wear, accessories, purses and swim wear. 

Good on You was founded in 2015 and is based in Sydney, Australia. The company created a rating system based on varying companies’ impacts on people, the planet and animals.

Reformation + Alyned Together

Good on You shows quick ratings based on how their labour is treated, how the company treats the environment, and how the company utilizes animal testing. As you further scroll, it further explains details on these categories. This feature is an educational tool that can help you guide others. 

Good on You also provides you brands that are more focused on clean environmentally practices. Forever 21, Parade, Marks & Spencer, and Honest Basics are inexpensive alternatives the app provides. I had never heard of these brands, but after researching them, their stuff is super cute.

Good on You also formulates web articles that discuss the ins and outs of sustainability. I enjoy this because being a writer for Her Campus has improved my writing abilities. It is easy to become a web contributor for Good on You, so I encourage everyone to check out this amazing opportunity.

sustainable fashion support
Photo by Cherie Birkner from Unsplash

Within the offers tab, Good on You provides discounts from its favorite companies. This is important because shopping sustainably can be fairly pricey, but having access to important deals will help support the economy and your own spending. 

I found an informative article that shows how Good on You is working to improve their practices, especially during such trying times. This article additionally brings more knowledge as to what the company is about.

I use this app almost every time I shop. It is very user friendly, and you can use it while shopping in person or online. This could help make a great gift while shopping for friends or significant others as Valentine’s Day approaches.  

Health Policy and Administration student at Pennsylvania State University.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.