Goodbye America, Hello Argentina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There is no more tedious and excruciatingly stressful task to me than packing for a long trip. I think I NEED everything and would be less likely to sacrifice a pair of great heels to any other traveling necessities. I know. It’s backwards. Ladies, you know how it is.  And the clincher is that I’ve had two and a half long months at home of solid nothingness to get it done. The late arrival date for my study abroad trip to Buenos Aires, Argentina, has left me anxiously waiting the time when I needed to actually start preparing. Leave it to the girl who has an ample preparation period to wait until the last minute. Sigh. But, I digress.  All of my friends went back to their schools and I caught up on all my missed telenovelas long before the New Year was rung in. And then, I was left doing nothing. I’m literally astonished at how little I’ve contributed to society in the passed couple months.

But, now, I’m back in action! The time has finally come. It’s a miracle I actually got everything into my bags. I’m allowed to check two bags (which I’m almost positive will cost me fifty extra dollars for being over the weight limit), along with a stuffed-to-the-brim carry-on and backpack. How I will manage these heavy sacks by myself once I’ve arrived in Argentina is beyond me considering I couldn’t even get them into the trunk of my car without assistance. Crap.

Despite these minor travel/packing faux pas, I am so super excited to be studying abroad. I’ve been waiting for this trip for what feels like an eternity; it’s surreal that it’s finally here. I’ve had an intense travel bug since my trip to Europe a few years ago. I figured I’d be less likely to ever get to South America in my post-college years so I quickly seized this opportunity. I will fulfill some credits for my Spanish and International Studies minors too, which is a plus.

I’m excited to immerse myself in the culture and hopefully get a better grasp of the Spanish language, but mostly I just want to learn to TANGO (I’m partial to long, ruffle skirts and Latin music/men). Thanking the friendship Gods perpetually for allowing me to embark on this journey with my best friend and fellow Her Campus writer, Tori Moore; makes traveling to a new place a little easier.

Here’s to a safe flight, smooth beginnings, and an unforgettable experience. Keep a look out for updates on all my Argentine adventures!

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.