Style > Fashion

Four Influential Women of Fashion for International Women’s Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Influencers and celebrities alike have a drastic impact on the direction of fashion trends and forecasts. Women in fashion, especially, have a powerful opportunity to spark influence on the next great feminine fashion phenomenon. Whether these individuals are aware or not, us fashion consumers are studying their every move in search of inspiration. 

As we celebrate Women’s History Month this March, let’s commemorate these stand-out women for their great influence on fashion in today’s society.

1. Hailey Bieber

From classic neutrals to slicked back buns and edgy streetwear, Hailey Bieber leads the way for fashion street style in 2022. Writer Stephanie Squadrito for Who What Wear describes Bieber’s style as “a true personal style that sits somewhere between edgy and athletic, as she blends sportswear and high end brands with ease.” 

Her image can be seen all over magazines and social media, displaying any new style she chooses to wear such as my most recent favorites, casually styled blazers.

Bieber’s style resonates with such a wide audience because of the accessibility of her looks. With streetwear, it is easy to find a similar item to recreate a look she wore at an inexpensive price. I often see Tik Toks and Instagram Reels displaying titles such as “Recreating Hailey Bieber’s Looks.”

Not only does Bieber’s style look clean-cut yet edgy, but she also inspires new trends in terms of accessories or hair. Most famously, her gorgeous oval-cut diamond engagement ring with a thin gold band broke the Internet after saying ‘yes’ to Justin.

Since her ring’s Instagram debut, this style ring has become extraordinarily popular in the world of engagements. 

To add one more layer to Bieber’s influential style, her classic slicked back bun has taken popularity within the last few months. After watching Tik Tok how-to tutorials, I went to Target to purchase hair gel and a boar bristled brush that would help me to successfully re-create this clean and polished hairstyle.

2. Meghan Markle

Women of the Royal Family have long been known to be public figures in the eye of fashion. Although Meghan is no longer a “working royal,” her popularity and fame still captivate the American audience. 

Markle’s fashion is a breath of fresh air to the work-day style. Fitting the role of Prince Harry’s wife, her style represents a modernized version of a professional and conservative style. Her style choices are suited for women looking to express their fashion sense while remaining modest.

From her crisp and simple long-sleeved wedding dress to my favorite, more free and flirty Stella McCartney dress change for the reception, Markle’s simplistic style compliments her beauty perfectly.

Just as most of us women do, Markle even loves finding a great fashion deal. InStyle magazine reported in February 2021 that Markle wore a $30 dress from Nordstrom Rack while seen on a phone call with Prince Harry, demonstrating her “realness” to the world.

3. Anna wintour

As long-term Editor-in-Chief of Vogue, it’s no wonder that Anna Wintour inspires the fashion world with her showstopping style. Although Wintour is 72 years young, she reaches fashion lovers of any age. 

From meeting with the Queen of England in a delicately detailed floral print dress to her enviable ability to pull off tops and dresses of any pattern or color, Wintour leads the way for expressing yourself through style.

As one of the most powerful women in fashion, Wintour knows how to stand out in a crowd to leave her lasting impression in fashion. Her signature look, a bright patterned Chanel dress, can be recognized amongst any crowd on any red carpet. Her looks inspire others to be bold with their style choices.

4. Emma Chamberlain

From the re-emergence of yoga pants to uggs, Chamberlain is a reachable influence to young women. She excels with laid-back streetwear that can be found at any price point. Her reach through multiple media platforms of Instagram, YouTube and a podcast called “Anything Goes” makes her such a widely viewed influencer. 

Chamberlain’s style takes a fun spin on streetwear through whimsical photoshoots expressing her personality that she posts on her Instagram. The photos of these outfits are just as captivating as the clothing. Just like her podcast says, nearly “Anything Goes” in Chamberlain’s wardrobe in terms of fun-filled fashion.

At just 20 years old, Chamberlain has reinvented the vibe of sweater vests, Doc Martens, trousers, sherpa coats and scrunchies. No matter what Chamberlain is wearing, her followers are closely watching to be one of the first to jump on the season’s next biggest trend.

As you celebrate all that women have accomplished during Women’s History Month, remember to send love to the women who influence today’s great fashion successes.

Nicole is a senior at Penn State University majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Journalism.