Career > Money

Flexible Ways To Make Extra Cash In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

College is both expensive and time-consuming. In fact, about 70% of college students feel stressed when thinking about their finances. As someone who has experienced college semesters with and without a job, neither is ideal.

Working during school often left me exhausted when it was time to do my school work, but I did learn to manage my time better. Not having a job gave me way more free time to focus on studies and get involved around campus, but left me feeling restricted if my friends want to do something that cost money.

Because of this, I decided to start researching ways to make money that are flexible for students.

DoorDash Driver

A DoorDash Driver is a great option if you need a flexible schedule since you can choose when you want to work. If you live in a busy college town like State College, you can have a high earning potential.

Although you typically need a car in order to do this, I know a guy who used his bike and did this around State College. If you do not have a car or simply don’t want to pay for gas, using a bike can be a great option and can be a great way to get a workout in while you earn money.

Instacart Shopper

An Instacart Shopper is similar to a DoorDash driver since you need transportation to do it. However, an Instacart Shopper still offers great flexibility to earn money with a busy schedule.

There are two different options for Instacart. You can shop and deliver, or simply only shop. If you only shop, you are required to work about 29 hours per week and work at one store. But if you shop and deliver, you can work as much or as little as you want.

Sell Clothes on Poshmark

This is a great opportunity to clean out your closet and earn money. I typically bring my clothes to Plato’s Closet, but they usually don’t buy much and I don’t make anywhere near what I bought my clothes for.

If you are willing to put in the work, Poshmark is a great place to try to make a bit more money selling your clothes. Make sure to list your clothes for a reasonable price and ensure you are posting nice pictures so customers can clearly see the style and design of the clothes.

Here is a great article on how to effectively sell on the app: How I Made Over A $1000 In Just A Few Weeks On Poshmark.

Create a Redbubble Shop

This is a great option if you are a graphics design major or even just enjoy drawing in general. A Redbubble shop allows you to upload your designs and then they do all the work for you. It helps if you self-promote your work because it spreads the word to more potential customers.

I recommend researching how to set up an account and sell effectively on Redbubble before starting, but it really is an easy process to make money off of a passion.

If none of these options are appealing to you, you can also look into options such as freelancing or becoming a paid ambassador for a brand. These options are a bit trickier and require more commitment, but they can give you a great experience in fields you are interested in and help build up a portfolio or resume in addition to making some extra cash.

Good luck making money!

Sydney is a senior at Penn State University majoring in Telecommunications with a minor in Digital Media Trends & Analytics. In her free time, she enjoys reading, trying new recipes, sports, and discovering new places to visit.