Five movies releasing in 2023 that need more attention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a result of the ongoing Screen Actor’s Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Arts strike, actors aren’t permitted to promote any projects associated with struck studios/companies. 

Consequently, many of the movies set to be released this year haven’t received the same attention from the media and the general public. 

So, while the actors still can’t promote their work, I’ll shout out five movies set to come out this year that deserve the love they probably would’ve gotten with proper promotion.

“Pain Hustlers” on Netflix Oct. 27

Emily Blunt and Chris Evans as the lead actors. Do I need to say more? 

“Pain Hustlers” is a drama directed by David Yates about a high-school dropout who becomes involved in a pharmaceutical start-up that seemingly borders on criminal activity. 

Blunt is one of the best actresses in the industry and Evans has been in some rather exciting projects since he departed from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

There’s a suspenseful, sultry and thrilling vibe in the trailer that are seemingly set to create a compelling story. But then again, anything Blunt is in will be entertaining; she’s just that talented.

“Dicks: The Musical”- on Select Theaters since Oct. 6

Indie-darling studio A24 released their first movie-musical this fall titled “Dicks: The Musical.” 

If the title didn’t give it away, this movie is absurd in the best way possible. The plot follows two twin brothers who switch bodies and set out on a quest to reunite their divorced parents. 

The cast has an all-star lineup of comic actors from Nathan Lane, Megan Mullally, Bowen Yang, Nick Offerman and D’Arcy Carden. It also stars the hot girl herself, Megan Thee Stallion. 

It’s only in select theaters but should be set to roll out to more. A24 is one of the few studios for which actors can promote projects, so it’s a great way to enjoy a film and support the SAG strike.

“Please Don’t Destroy: The Treasure of Foggy Mountain” on Peacock Nov. 17

The “Saturday Night Live” writing trio Please Don’t Destroy will bring their comedy, most known from their pre-recorded sketches on the show, to the big screen this year. 

Martin Herlihy, John Higgins and Ben Marshall are starring in the film they wrote. The film follows this trio, who are roommates and terrible employees. They go on a search for a priceless treasure and, naturally, chaos ensues. 

This film calls on many of Please Don’t Destroy’s “SNL” coworkers like Bowen Yang, Chloe Troast and Michael Longfellow. Other big names include Meg Slalter, X Mayo, John Goodman and Conan O’Brien. 

In an age with a dwindling number of blockbuster comedies, “The Treasure of Foggy Mountain” has the potential to be be this generation’s “Superbad.”

“The Holdovers” limited release Oct. 27, wide release Nov. 10

The 2023 Toronto International Film Festival runner-up, “The Holdovers,” has already garnered some serious critical love, holding 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 

The comedy-drama is set in the 1970s and stars Paul Giamatti, who plays an unlikeable boarding school teacher. 

His character gets put in charge of the students who don’t go home during Christmas break and he has to deal with a challenging student going through a tough time. 

Early reviews have noted the film as a return to form for director Alexander Payne, and some have even called this a dark horse contender at the Oscars this year. 

There’s a nostalgic, feel-good aesthetic in the trailers, making it clear this movie is likely one that is going to make you both laugh and cry. It’s the perfect movie for the holiday season and will hopefully still perform well without promotion from its actors.

“Waitress”- on Theaters Dec. 7

“Mean Girls” isn’t the only Broadway musical based on a movie that is getting a movie version of the musical released this winter. 

However, unlike “Mean Girls,” “Waitress” will be a live stage recording of the musical before it was shut down. It was filmed during the show’s limited run in 2021 when “Waitress” was the first musical to open back up during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Many members of the original Broadway cast returned for this run and filming, most notably Sarah Bareilles, who is also a producer. 

“Waitress” is a beloved musical many were distraught to see leave Broadway. With the theatrical release of the live stage recording, the musical will get to see a second life. A fascinating proposition for show fans who couldn’t make their way to New York City to see the show.

Hopefully, the SAG-AFTRA strike will conclude sooner rather than later and these films can get a portion of the promotion they deserve. Anyone needing a getaway to a theater or a night in should consider one of these movies for their enjoyment.

I am Sophia D'Ovidio, a third-year majoring in digital and print journalism with a minor in media studies. When I'm not writing for Her Campus @ PSU I am watching TV, at the gym, making TikToks or with my friends. During my time at Penn State, I also am the director of the Arts and Entertainment department at Commradio, Penn State's student-run, web-based radio station affiliated with the Bellisario College of Communications. I oversee and contribute to articles, talk shows, podcasts and live coverage events for my department. Additionally, I am a volunteer for THON, the largest student-run philanthropy event where Penn State students raise money to combat childhood cancer. I am from Allentown, New Jersey, and I love spending time at home with my family and down the shore. My other interests include comedy, film, women's soccer, hiking and music.