This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Stuck inside on one of those cold fall days? Not sure what to watch when faced with a virtually endless supply of media? Let this post offer some suggestions for your viewing pleasure.

Light some candles, wrap yourself up in comfy blankets and watch away!

“The Social Network” (2010)

This critical darling is one of my all-time favorites. If my expertise alone isn’t enough to persuade you, maybe the absolute powerhouse behind its creation will: a movie directed by David Fincher, written by Aaron Sorkin, with a score by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails and Atticus Ross. Not to mention the talented Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield as the lead actors.

I’m sure many of you have seen this movie already, either because of how well-known it is or because of Andrew Garfield and the monologue seared into all of our collective consciousnesses. Either reason is valid.

All I know is that this movie rearranged my brain chemistry when I saw it for the first time as a senior in high school. And you need to watch (or rewatch) it. It’s time.

The film is meticulously shot (read, “directed by David Fincher”), and because so much of it takes place in the fall/winter, it’s a perfect watch for a dark fall night. I can clearly picture Mark’s frantic sprint out of class and through the snow in his Adidas slides. Or him and Eduardo standing out in the cold outside of the lame Caribbean Night party, Eduardo’s “I can’t feel my legs” met with Mark’s misunderstanding “I know I’m totally psyched about this, too.”

The movie ultimately revolves around the two character’s friendship and its Shakespearian levels of tragic dissolution. It’s fast-paced and witty and go ahead and press play on it already, OK?

“When Harry Met Sally” (1989)

The movie centers around one question: can men and women be “just friends?” While Meg Ryan’s, Sally, says yes, Billy Crystal’s, Harry, argues no.

The movie takes place over the span of years, tracking the two’s growing relationship in a quick hour and a half. In those years, some important events take place on gorgeous autumn tree-lined streets and at emotionally charged New Year’s Eve parties. Despite its July release, something about it feels inherently cozy and fall.

If you’re looking for something light-hearted, yet with real substance, this rom-com drama is as far as you should look.

“Memories of Murder” (2003)

Perhaps you’re looking for a movie that’s darker; “Memories of Murder” is the mystery/thriller waiting for you on the other end. This movie showcases the power duo of director Bong Joon-ho and actor Song Kang-ho to deliver a film of twists that keep you continuously on edge.

“Little Miss Sunshine” (2006)

Speaking from personal experience, this movie gripped me while I was in the midst of a bad place and yanked me right out. I vouch that it can do the same for you.

The movie is beloved by many and has a stacked cast featuring Toni Collette, Steve Carrell and Paul Dano.

Each character in the movie’s dysfunctional family is vastly different, and you can love almost every single one, especially tiny Abigail Breslin as the titular Little Miss Sunshine.

At least one of these suggestions is bound to suit your fancy and give you that feeling of true satisfaction when you finish watching a good movie. Enjoy!

Hi! I'm a junior majoring in English with a minor in world literature. I occasionally dabble in writing.