Finding Your Roots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There is no other feeling like the feeling of belonging. Belonging to a group of interests, a group of friends, belonging to a family. This past winter break I experienced the exact feeling of acceptance and understanding, by discovering my roots.

Although I moved to the United States when I was six from Colombia, my family still maintained practicing Colombian morals and speaking Spanish. The last time that I visited Colombia for the holidays, I had not grasped the true meaning of family history and the importance of connecting with people that you don’t see often. Many college students are often aware of where they come from and may still have a few relatives back in their ancestry country. Keeping in touch with your roots is a great way to build character and learn more about yourself.

As I entered the hustle and bustle of the capital city, Bogota, my mind turned to confusion as everything seemed bigger then I remembered. The city expanded with back-to-back cars, skyscrapers touching the top of the clouds and people walking fast-paced to their destination. As I reunited with my cousins, I learned of all the great opportunities they’ve experienced in all of their universities. After visiting one of the top universities in Colombia, my mind wondered about all of the study abroad programs that go to Colombia from the United States. Colombian academics are very focused on engineering, industrial design, art and even english. Really consider looking into study abroad programs that go to Colombia. Although Penn State does not offer a program for Colombia, you can still apply for other universities’ study abroad programs. Studying in Colombia can be fundamental considering the academics, Spanish speaking, and it doesn’t hurt that the drinking age is eighteen.

Not only did I spend my time throughout the city, but I also got to visit the coast of Colombia, which is full of sunny beaches. Coastal Colombia, consisting of Barranquilla, San Andres, Cartagena and Santa Marta all have white sand and clear aquamarine waters. These all make perfect vacation spots because of the dining and hotels. There is also a sense of non-stop fun with dancing clubs on every corner and almost all of the businesses speak English.

This past winter break was a great way for me to learn more about who I am and where I came from. It is such a great idea for any college student to experience another country, culture and meet new people that are not the same as you. If you connect with your roots and where you come from, it will have a deep impact on your life.

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.