Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hub Anatomy of Aesthetic edgetotedge hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Fashion

Fall Trends From Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Within the distant worlds of New York City, London, Milan and Paris fashion week is coming to an end. Wisps of the runways will soon appear in stores in the form of art prints and abnormality, with a remembrance of punk. 

As for the shows themselves, three brands — Nina Ricci, Ann Demeulemeester and Off-White — made their debut, while one brand made attempts at a comeback. 

Earlier this year, Balenciaga suffered from scandal after releasing BDSM accessories advertised by children. This season, their heavily anticipated shows revisited the company’s roots with monochrome black pieces centering around elegance; an obvious attempt towards masking their previous blunder.

Outside of scandal, the theme of elegance remained prevalent. Many brands chose to incorporate class into their lines through the return of the peplum top and tasteful splashes of red, all tied together with a bow. 

Sophia Richie Grainge was a source of inspiration for the resurgence of sophistication. She reinvigorated stealth-wealth (a description for wealthy individuals who subtly flaunt their opulence) earlier this year through her heavily popularized wedding.

Stealth-wealth transformed fashion week through the concept of the uniform. The notion that clothes are to be worn rather than noticed allowed for elevated basics to take the spotlight over louder, statement pieces. 

Especially with emphasis on long tan and black coats, designers were drawn towards professional pieces for women. This recognized the modern working woman and provides opportunities for creativity in business casual wear this season.

However, emphasis on elegance did not stop the theme of imperfection from making a powerful appearance this season. After last year’s passing of fashion icon Vivienne Westwood, remembering punk rested heavily on everyone’s mind. 

Gothic romance trends such as feathers, art prints and metallic shoes made their debut, while traditional fashion rules were broken. Navy on black was a popular color combination and plaid on plaid had a moment in Burberry’s show. 

In terms of streetwear, long skirts, oversized sweaters and off-the-shoulder tops kept their place among this season’s most anticipated trends. Oversized tops in general had a large presence, resulting in an abundance of triangular silhouettes.

Streetwear on a college campus might look different than in the audience of a fashion show. Especially as the semester begins to pick up and the temperature begins to drop, putting effort towards everyday outfits falls to the bottom of priority lists. 

Dressing fashionably doesn’t have to be difficult or uncomfortable; especially with imperfection as a frontrunner in this year’s fashion trends. Modeling Westwood-esque creativity, students are cutting off the collar of their crewnecks; an easy yet affordable way to switch up a boring look while remaining comfortable.

Spicing up going-out looks for this season is just as easy. Add a bow as an accessory, throw on an off-the-shoulder top, incorporate a metallic pop or find a top printed with your favorite art piece to incorporate trends into a classic look.

As for tailgates, baby tees might be going out of style. But with oversized tops making a comeback, options are endless. To make a triangle silhouette, try layering a jersey or oversized sweatshirt over biker shorts or leggings for the perfect game day fit. 

Nothing beats the change in season for fashion fanatics, especially when layering is involved. Express your creativity through your style this autumn with some inspiration from the world’s most revered fashion phenomenons.

Hello! My name is Katherine Engleka and I'm a student at Penn State University. I work as a writing tutor at the writing center and I'm the non-fiction coordinator of Penn State's literary magazine Kalliope.