Everyone is Raving About Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan at the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The 2023 Oscars aired March 12 at 8 p.m. and showcased the best films of this past year.

Of course, the red carpet was exhilarating, with elegant white dresses trending amongst other colors.

There were exciting performances all throughout the night such as Rihanna (with her baby bump!) performing her award-winning single “Lift Me Up,” which was featured in “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.”

A lot of fans are stating that this Oscars was the best. A lot of actors and actresses received the awards they deserved.

2023 Oscars acting winners

Among these winning actors, were Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan.

The internet is currently fangirling over the two and their wholesome reactions to winning the awards they worked so hard for.

Fraser and Quan celebrating their achievements

Fraser has been in the industry since his debut in “Dogfight.” However, he is best known for “George of the Jungle,” “The Mummy” and “Journey to the Center of the Earth.”

Fraser has been through a lot while in Hollywood.

In 2018, Fraser joined the #MeToo movement and claimed that he was sexually assaulted by the ex-president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

Unfortunately, the HFPA denied these allegations which caused Fraser to stay away from public life and he wondered if they had blacklisted him as he wasn’t invited to any award shows anymore.

Fraser persevered and was at this year’s Oscars, where he won Best Actor for his performance in “The Whale” and received a standing ovation in the press room.

@varietymagazine

#brendanfraser gets a standing ovation in the #oscars press room

♬ original sound – Variety
Fraser in the Oscars press roomk

Now, platforms like Tik Tok are obsessing over Fraser’s tearing-eyed thank-you speech that pulled on the heartstrings of audience members and viewers from home.

His award was truly well-deserved after everything Fraser has been through and for his amazing performances in all of his many films.

Ke Huy Quan won Best Supporting Actor this year for his performance “Everything Everywhere All At Once.”

His award was presented to him by Harrison Ford, which called for a nostalgic and happy reunion between the two colleagues.

Ford presenting Quan’s award

The two were seen smiling ear to ear, hugging and celebrating on stage together.

The two were in the “Indiana Jones” films together when he was just a child. Quan is also known for being in the film, “The Goonies.”

Can you blame the audience for shedding a few tears?

Quan winning an Oscar

Quan gave a very emotional speech but first, he started off by giving a shout-out to his mom.

The actor was born in South Vietnam and moved to America. In the speech he said for a year he was in a refugee camp and now he is on stage accepting an award on Hollywood’s biggest stage.

Both Fraser and Quan were so emotional and giddy with excitement that the internet can not help but overwhelm them more with love and support. They are both extremely talented actors that have overcome challenges to be where they are today.

They both deserve these awards and all the positive recognition.

Hi, my name is Ria! I'm a junior at Penn State University studying Political Science and English.