DIY Fashion: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Throughout time, the letters D-I-Y have become more than just an acronym for the term do-it-yourself. They have turned into a word in itself, a movement and a lifestyle.  As of lately, DIY projects have been popping up everywhere in the world of fashion, from blogs to magazines and even TV shows. So, what is this fuss all about? After doing some research and taking part in a few projects myself, I’ve concluded that DIY fashion is a fad every college girl should take part in. DIY clothing and accessories are unique and inexpensive, yet extremely valuable.

Picture this. It’s a Friday night and you are looking and feeling amazing in your brand new little red dress from Urban Outfitters. That is, until you walk into the party and realize the girl in front of you is wearing your exact outfit. In State College, the odds of that happening are very likely. With only a few shops downtown and a very meek shopping mall, the prospects of finding a unique outfit are very low. This is a situation in which DIY fashion is strongly encouraged.  Making your own clothes ensures that no one will ever have your same outfit. As opposed to the generic, mass-produced clothes you see everyday, DIY fashion allows you to have your very own hand-made couture. It encourages personal style and gives you an opportunity to stand out—in a good way of course.

Additionally, if you are someone who is trying to stay on top of the latest trends, clothes and accessories can be very expensive, and, as college students most of us simply cannot do it. On top of tuition, books, housing and food, buying new clothes is a commodity most college students can’t indulge in. But, just because you’re on a tight budget doesn’t mean you can’t be stylish. DIY fashion gives way to the fashionista on a budget. This type of fashionista recycles and reuses her clothes. A DIYer can turn old clothes from trash to treasure by reinventing them and giving them a unique look. And plus, whatever your project ends up looking like, the satisfaction of knowing you created it makes it priceless.

In order to start DIYing, all you need is a steady hand, a pair of scissors and a little creativity. If you’re lacking a little in the creativity department, there is an endless number of fashion blogs dedicated solely to DIY projects from which you can borrow ideas. However, many of those projects require a sewing machine and can be a little intimidating. But, I have scooped out some simple projects that can be accomplished in a matter of minutes. So whether your trying to emulate a runway look or just trying to save some money, pick up some super glue, needles and scissors and lets get going.

Tribal print shoes
Lately, in response to the tribal print craze going on, anything that has some sort of tribal print on it, is doubled in price. For example, at Target, you can buy a pair of white sneakers for just $9, while the exact ones in tribal print are about $25. And that is where the inspiration for this DIY was born.  

Materials:
pair of white shoes ($9 at Target)
fabric paint
brushes
pencil

Steps:
Draw the designs you want on your shoe with a pencil. Then, paint over them using many different color fabric paints. Let dry for about four hours.

Light scarf
Though simple, this accessory can add style to any outfit. The total cost of this item is under $5, so make many different colors and patterns to alternate with different outfits.  

Materials:
large t-shirt
scissors

Steps:
Cut the bottom half of the shirt and you’ve got yourself a tube scarf. Tie it twice around your neck for a different look.

Crop top
A DIYer never lets any material go to waste. With the rest of that t-shirt, you can create a crop top by just cutting off the sleeves. Remember to make pencil marks before cutting.

Recycling old jeans
Skinny jeans. How many of you have a drawer stuffed with old jeans you never wear? I know I do and girls, it is finally time to let those old guys see the light of day. If you have any bellbottoms you don’t wear anymore, turn them into skinny jeans! Have jeans that are too short on you? Turn them into shorts!

Materials:
old pair of jeans
scissors
sewing machine

Steps:
Sew the inside seam of the bottom half of the jeans to turn your old bellbottom jeans into stylish skinny jeans.
To make shorts, simply use scissors to cut them to the length you desire. Fold the ends into a cuff and iron.

Shirt out of a scarf and a skirt
This requires nothing more than a little matching. Choose a pretty scarf from your closet and match it with either a tube top or skirt you own to create a new shirt or dress!

Materials:
scarf
skirt or tube top

Steps:
Wear the skirt on your upper body. Tie scarf over your bra.