Director of CommAgency: Catie Grant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you’re a part of the College of Communications at Penn State, our profile this week is someone you should definitely get to know. Catie Grant, a Penn State film/video graduate, filled us in on the brand new on-campus company, “CommAgency.” She is currently the director of the company and shared exactly what it’s all about!

HC: So, what is CommAgency?

CG: CommAgency is a student-run video production company in the College of Communications, for College of Communications students. What that means is that students, from any major in the college, work together in teams of four to create videos for a particular Penn State client. They meet with the client to determine what video needs they have, work on creative treatments, etc. Then, after client approval, they film and edit the videos using equipment exclusively for CommAgency productions. While the students are gaining experience working with clients and creating videos, they are also paid hourly for their work.

HC: How was CommAgency established?

CG: CommAgency came about because the College of Communications Dean, Marie Hardin, and the college as a whole realized the importance of students getting hands-on, real world experience that will translate when looking for internships or jobs after graduation. And that’s why it’s open to any Communications major. Regardless of what you do after graduation, you’ll have some sort of “client” that you’ll have to impress with your work. This agency teaches you what it’s like to create for a client, including the communication and problem solving skills you need to be successful.

HC: Can I work for CommAgency? What skills do I need?

CG: Anyone in the College of Communications can apply to be a part of CommAgency, regardless of semester standing, major or experience. You need to have a passion for working with clients, interest in what goes into client-based video production, and time in your schedule since this is a club, not a class. If you have production or advertising experience that’s great, but you don’t necessarily need it.

HC: Where does CommAgency make videos?

CG: CommAgency works out of an exclusive space within the College of Communications. We have a room that is only for CommAgency members in Lubert Building, and it’s a space not only to meet with clients, but it also has two edit stations for post production work, and in general is a fun space where agency members can relax, study and get work done — even if it’s not agency work!

HC: What was your primary job before CommAgency? What made you switch it up?

CG: I’m actually a Penn State grad from the College of Communications (Film/Video 2005), and after graduation I worked as a freelance documentary producer for PBS. I didn’t love the freelance lifestyle (too stressful for me!) so I accepted a job with WPSU (the PBS affiliate here at Penn State) as an Associate Producer in their Creative Services department. I started there in 2007 and I worked on client-based videos for people around Penn State. I worked there until the summer of 2016 when I left my role as a Senior Producer at WPSU for this opportunity with CommAgency. I love client work and video production — that will never change — but with this new role I’m able to teach students what it’s like to work with clients, and how rewarding it can be, all while still being involved in productions because I’m helping the agency students with advice and guidance. It’s a win-win for me!

HC: You were a Penn State student yourself! What do you miss the most about it?

CG: I was! I miss the opportunities you have as a student to try new things, to discover what you like and are passionate about and to meet so many new people from different backgrounds, cultures and places. There’s no other time in your life (that I’ve experienced anyway) where you have so many opportunities to grow, try, fail and learn.

HC: What’s one random, fun fact about yourself?

CG: I love to bake! I actually co-own a cake and cupcake business with my good friend Melissa. I love having the chance to make delicious cakes and cupcakes for people celebrating birthdays, weddings – whatever! 

Since CommAgency is new this year, the official website is still under construction. But, for a few more details and contact information, you can visit http://comm.psu.edu/commagency/.

Photo Credit: 1

Rachel is a freshman at Penn State majoring in Advertising/Public Relations in the College of Communications. She is new to Her Campus and all of the other things PSU has to offer. She hopes to get involved with Club Croquet, THON, and CommAgency. Rachel loves writing, drawing, and cracking jokes. Some people know her from her Vine account, Messing With Rich, where she messes with her dad and films his reactions. Rachel is known to have a tendency to get carried away while talking about her five cats. She loves her cats more than she loves herself. Follow her on Instagram/Twitter where you can find pictures of her kitties and such: Rachel_Anton2
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.