Decorating for the Holidays on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Want to spread holiday cheer but don’t want to break the bank?

Here are 10 cheap ways to spice up your apartment:

1.) Buy stockings from the dollar store.  Even if you don’t stuff them, hang them on a string on a wall of your apartment, or over a window.  The more the merrier. Or you can use glitter glue to write each of your roommates’ names on a stocking.

2.) Make 3D snowflakes from computer paper! Check out this video for step-by-step instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd24LcZ0iAs

3.) Tie a holiday colored ribbon around a tall glass or a glass bowl. Fill with candy canes or other candies. Display on a shelf or make it your kitchen table centerpiece.

4.) Do you have a mini tree in your apartment but need ornaments? Go to the dollar store and purchase Christmas cookie cutters and some red or green ribbon.  Hang the cookie cutters with ribbon onto the tree for makeshift ornaments.

5.) Replace your fish tank background with a piece of Christmas wrapping paper.

6.) Want to add some holiday color? Buy holiday colored flowers and display them around your apartment to spread holiday cheer!

7.)
Wrap your apartment door/bedroom door in Christmas wrapping paper and stick large bows on it.

8.) Have extra red and green ball ornaments? If not, go to the dollar store and grab some and place into a big glass bowl as a festive centerpiece.

9.) Use construction paper and make personalized gingerbread men or snowmen as place cards at your table!

10.) Trim doorframes and window frames with garland or ribbon.

And, if you celebrate Hanukkah, you can still use these cheap and easy ideas by using Hanukkah colors instead of Christmas colors.

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.