Nittany Lion at THON 2023
Nittany Lion at THON 2023
Photo by Sophie Yadzinski

Dancer Stories: Why are You Dancing in THON?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Penn State’s THON is one of the highlights of each year for students. Getting involved in something that benefits a great cause is a great opportunity.

THON was first organized by Penn State students in 1973. These students sought a way to get involved at their university while also giving back to the community. 

In 1977, Four Diamonds became the beneficiary of this dance marathon. 

Four Diamonds was founded in 1972 to support children and their families in the fight against childhood cancer.

They focus on care, support and research and have helped over 4,000 children and their families. 

Four Diamonds covers 100% of all medical expenses related to cancer care not covered by insurance. 

In 1987, the Dance Marathon was renamed THON. 

THON originally took place in the Hub but was later moved to the White Building, then Rec Hall and now it is big enough to fill the Bryce Jordan Center. 

Today, THON is the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. 

Slides of Strength during THON Weekend 2023
Photo by Sophie Yadzinski

Over 700 students have the privilege of dancing in THON 2024. People dance for many reasons and are chosen by their organization or the Independent Dancer Couple lottery for their hard work and dedication to the cause. 

Independent Dancer Couples (IDC) allow people to dance while unaffiliated with an organization. 

IDCs are chosen on a weighted lottery system that coincides with the amount of money each couple raises throughout the year. 

Both fourth-year students, Connor Stout and Wyatt Freeark, are IDCs who have participated in THON through committees for the past three years.

“Our senior year, we wanted to go out with a bang,” Stout said, a fourth-year, about their decision to IDC.

Stout has family and friends who have been affected by cancer, so dancing for a cure motivates him throughout the weekend in hopes that one day we will dance in celebration. 

Freeark, a fourth-year, is partaking in his tenth THON this weekend. Freeark’s mother danced in Penn State’s THON in the 1980s and would bring him and his siblings up to experience the magic. 

“I’ve been able to see the wonders that it provides for families, and I knew I had to be a part of it,” Freeark said.

Freeark and Stout had their ups and downs with the IDC process, but a final fundraising push put them over the edge and got them into the IDC lottery. 

Greek Organizations at THON Weekend 2023
Photo by Sophie Yadzinski

Dancing in THON is a culmination of a year’s hard work. Organizations, clubs, Greek life and IDCs work hard fundraising while looking forward to what many people call the best weekend of the year.

“I feel like this is a representation of all the work we’ve gone through for the last year,” Natalie Meriwether said. Meriwether, a third-year student, is dancing for Schreyer for Women and Empowering Women in Law. 

The organization is new to THON; they participated in their first THON as a group last year. It was wildly successful, so they got dancers on the floor this year.

Schreyer for Women and Empowering Women in Law has been paired with the Braden Fleagle family. “This active and well-known THON family has been absolutely wonderful”, Meriwether said.

Meriwether continues her mother’s legacy of dancing in THON and looks forward to spending this magical weekend with her mother and sister. 

Another dancer, Reece Raley, who is dancing for Alpha Phi Delta, got involved with THON on a whim in his freshman year. 

Raley, now a third-year student, got the THON involvement email, applied for a committee and the rest is history.

Raley was on a Dancer Relations committee his first year, Rules and Regulations his second year and then he was chosen to be the primary THON chair for his fraternity. 

Raley was honored to be nominated for a dancer spot this year. 

Cancer runs in Raley’s family, so he knew that dancing in THON to give back was important because he may need the support one day. 

“This whole experience is just so special,” Raley said. 

Stage and Crowd at THON 2023
Photo by Sophie Yadzinski

Dancing in THON is a privilege and something that many people wish they could do. 

Forty six hours surrounded by the best energy and support system is unforgettable. Many dancers have close ties to THON or a dancing legacy to uphold, while others have been captivated by the magic of THON Weekend.

THON holds a special place in many people’s hearts, the magic that ensues in the BJC makes the long hours worth it, according to dancers. And it is all For the Kids!

Olivia Pettyjohn is a fourth-year journalism major at Penn State, planning to graduate in 2024.