Wellness

Creating New Years Goals for Every Aspect of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Since I was 17 years old, I have made a New Year’s goal to achieve before the end of the year. I try to make a different goal for every major pillar in my life: spirituality, family, relationships, social life, health, service, intellectuality, financial stability, professional life, and emotional health. 

The reason for this division is to create a comprehensive view of my life and make sure I stay healthy in all aspects of it. 

Here is an explanation of each area and why you should also make different goals for each.

Spirituality

crystals and herbs on a wooden plate
Photo by Joanna Kosinska from Unsplash

This would be your religion or anything related to your spiritual well-being. Goals related to your spiritual pillar could include going to the church more, or if you’re not religious, meditating to keep peace.

Family

Family involves parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles or any other family member that you’d like. For example, you could make more time to hang out with your cousins, or try not to argue too much with your mom.

Relationships 

Hulu

Relationships are related to your love life. Whether or not you have a partner, you are still able to make goals for this piece of your life. If you already have a partner, a goal could be improving your communication skills to avoid arguments, for example. 

If you don’t have a partner, a goal could be to try getting into a serious relationship and avoid involving yourself with people who don’t care about you.

Social Life

We all need time to relax and hang out with friends. The social pillar involves things you do for fun. Do you like going to the movies? Are you doing it enough to keep yourself happy? Do you have true friends? What could you improve to make sure you have more time to hang out with said friends?

Health 

Flatlay of food on green background
Photo by Vitalii Pavlyshynets from Unsplash

Health is your physical health and alimentation. Are you eating things that will keep you healthy, or is your cholesterol too high? When was the last time you took a blood test? I try to take a blood test at least once a year to make sure I have everything balanced. 

I’ve seen imbalances that I wasn’t aware of two times, such as low vitamin D. One time, I found out I was slightly anemic. 

Everyone needs to exercise to keep your body active and to make sure that they’re stimulating their muscles. Are you exercising enough?

Service

Service is anything that includes giving back to your society. This may involve big volunteer work projects or simply calling a friend that might be feeling a little sad. Anything considered a “thank you” for what life has given you and that express gratitude can be considered service.

Intellectuality

This relates to what appeals to you intellectually. It could be related to college, like getting a 4.0 GPA or making the Dean’s list, but it is not necessary. It could also be a goal to learn a new language, read a certain amount of books or take an online course on a subject that interests you. 

Financial Stability

Hand inserting coin into plastic piggy bank
Photo by Joslyn Pickens from Pexels

Finance is anything money-related. Maybe it means saving a certain amount of money to buy something you have always wanted, or maybe it means learning to invest. Anything to better yourself moneywise could be a professional goal.

Professional Life

This pillar is related to your career desires. Goals for this pillar could be, for example, getting your first job, doing internships related to your major or desired future career, or trying out for a better position at your current job.

Emotional Health

For me, this one is the most important. Without emotional health, it is extremely hard to achieve any other goal. This is the pillar related most to mental health, so one goal could include going to therapy, begging a grief journal, setting better boundaries, or anything that could make you feel better and bring peace to your mind.

Which goal do you resonate with? Happy New Year!

Renata is from Amazonas, Brazil, and studies international politics and broadcast journalism at Penn State. Her hobbies include reading and writing, editing pictures, and dancing for fun. She likes to learn new languages, currently speaks four, and is trying to learn a fifth. Fun fact: she wrote a book, but let’s not talk about that.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.