Counting Down the 10 Best Golden Globe Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

10. Dog President

Have you not seen Dog President yet? Well, that’s for a reason: it doesn’t exist. If you were paying attention while nominees were announced for Best Actress and Best Actor, you would have seen Pohler and Fey dressed in costume and acting as nominees Darcy St. Fudge (a psychic who solves her own murder) and Damien Francisco (a volleyball player battling restless leg syndrome) for the “movie” Dog President. All jokes aside, if this was a real movie I’d probably go see it. 

9. Jodie Foster’s interesting speech

Was she quitting acting? Was she coming out? No one was quite sure what exactly the point of Jodie Foster’s rather odd speech was, but nonetheless, a captivated room of celebrities (many teary-eyes as Foster talked about her mother) looked on as Jodie Foster accepted her lifetime achievement award.

8. Ben Affleck gets his moment to shine

After being snubbed by the Oscars when nominations were announced, Ben Affleck finally received well-deserved recognition for his directing in Argo at the Golden Globes. What was probably better remembered than his acceptance speech, however, was when he had wife Jennifer Garner thank the people he had forgotten when she was later up on stage presenting. Hugh Jackman, accepting his Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical Award, jokingly told his wife, “If I forget to mention anyone, Babe, can you come up and thank them after? That’d be great.”

7. Surprise! It’s…Bill Clinton?

Or “Hillary’s Husband” as Amy Pohler put it. Bill Clinton was welcomed with a standing ovation as he surprised the audience at the Golden Globes, coming on stage to introduce Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln. Do you think Obama was jealous that he didn’t get an invite?

6. Girls Domination

HBO’s Girls beat out long-time favorites like Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory for Best Comedy Series, and Lena Dunham, the show’s star and creator won Best Actress in a Comedy Series. Girls everywhere rejoiced as the elated, and slightly awkward, Dunham accepted her awards. “I thought I was going to be a cooler customer if this ever happened, which I didn’t think it would,” she said. Don’t worry Lena, we all had faith in you.

5. Jennifer Lawrence, “I Beat Meryl!”

Between The Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook, it seemed to be the year of Jennifer Lawrence. Beating out Meryl Streep, Lawrence held up her Golden Globe and yelled, “What does it say? I beat Meryl!” While many took it as a joking snub towards Meryl Streep, the line was actually just a crafty reference to a quote from the movie The First Wives Club. Unfortunately, Lindsay Lohan did not catch this memo, and later took to Twitter saying, “no1 should ever mess with a legend, such as Meryl Streep.” Thanks for the advice, Lindsay.

4. Taylor Swift’s reaction to losing “Best Song” to Adele

When the camera flashed to Swift during Adele’s acceptance speech for “Best Song,” the losing nominee looked anything but happy. Taylor’s night only got worse from there- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler ‘drunkenly’ commented that she should stay away from Michael J. Fox’s son (who was handing out the awards alongside Clint Eastwood’s daughter). Cheer up Taylor, something tells me you’ll fare a little better at the Grammy’s next month.

3. Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig win the award for Best Presentation

Looking lost, surprised and unprepared, Wiig and Ferrell hilariously introduced the nominees for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. They jokingly summarized each film the same way most viewers at home would have if asked to explain movies like Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. “And when the salmon are coming out… and when the bad guy comes…and the salmon’s like…and you know…and you’re in Yemen…”

Yeah, that sounds about right to me.

2. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s opening monologue

Did anyone doubt that these two would kill it? Fey and Poehler had the crowd laughing seconds into their monologue, and kept it going for their eight minutes on stage. Highlights included, “Anne Hathaway, you gave a stunning performance in Les Misérables. I have not seen someone so totally alone and abandoned like that since you were on stage with James Franco at the Oscars,” and “Meryl Streep is not here tonight. She has the flu, and I hear she’s amazing in it.” Well done ladies, well done.

1. Amy Poehler sitting on George Clooney’s lap

As Poehler herself put it earlier, the only person better looking than young George Clooney is middle-aged George Clooney. Who cares if she lost the award? She was sitting on George Clooney’s lap. GEORGE. CLOONEY. 

Picture Credit: 1 & 2 & 3

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.