Style > Fashion

Comprising A List Of The Best Fashion Trends Of 2021 So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The year 2020 was a crazy year with even crazier trends. Quarantine really got the best of us, and we saw some creative but certainly questionable trends. However, 2021 was a fresh start full of new stylish trends that we hope to keep in the coming year. From flare jeans to white converse to even Gucci rubber slides, the list goes on and on!

Do you think these trends should carry into 2022? Whether you agree or not, below is a list that contains the best fashion trends we had this year:

Mom Jeans

Say goodbye to skinny jeans and hello to mom jeans! I don’t think anyone saw this coming, as skinny jeans were a timeless staple in every girls’ wardrobe. I’m not sure when everyone collectively decided that skinny jeans were no longer an acceptable item of clothing, but I doubt anyone’s complaining about the tons of cute mom jeans that have been trending all over the fashion world.

High Top Converse

High-top Converse is the 2021 version of the fan-favorite Nike Air Force One’s that were pretty much on every girl’s foot. You can never really go wrong with a classic pair of Converse. This has definitely come full circle as this brand has been trendy for many generations. However, the way they have revamped their shoes has paid off because their styles have attracted almost everyone’s attention this year.

Corset Top

Corset tops made a huge comeback and were certainly a smash this fall! With tons of styles and beautiful lacing, corset tops became the essential top for a girls’ night out! Don’t worry; they look much more comfortable than the ones women were wearing back in the 16th century.

Claw Clip

You won’t regret hopping on this trend as it has become almost every girl’s go-to style. It’s effortlessly cute and super quick if you’re having one of those days when you don’t feel like dealing with your hair. They come in so many different colors and sizes to match every outfit and your hair type.

Flare Jeans

Welcome to the 70s! Flare jeans or boot-cut jeans were iconic in the 70s and are making a resurgence this year. These jeans are super flattering on everyone and pairs perfectly with any cropped sweater. This trend is a great way to improve your jean collection and add some spunk to your wardrobe.

Gucci Sandals

This trend is quite different from the Gucci slide trend we saw back in 2014. These slides are much fancier and quite expensive. However, $350 for a pair of sandals might not be worth hopping on the trend, but they are super cute, and I’ve seen tons of girls pair these shoes with adorable dresses all summer!

Gold Hoops

Ah, the classic gold hoops. This trend emerged in early 2021 and quickly became a staple. Many girls paired these gold hoops with the claw clip trend for a sleek, effortless look. I believe this fad will become timeless, as it matches with almost anything. If you haven’t already, definitely purchase a nice pair of the chic gold hoops because it looks like they’re sticking around.

Puffer Jackets

Although these jackets might have been the ugly coat your mom would make you wear as a kid, even when you said you weren’t cold. Puffer jackets have returned and returned in style. These coats have such a polished look and are guaranteed to enhance your winter wardrobe. They became super trendy last winter, and it looks like they’re here to stay in 2022.

Puffy Sleeves

Puffy sleeves were trendy back in 2018 and have resurfaced again in 2021. These balloon-like sleeves are back and better than ever! Not only are these sleeves on shirts reaching the public eye, but they are making appearances on dresses too! The enhanced sleeves add a little something extra to any outfit.

Leather Pants

Now, leather pants can definitely be considered a staple for formal occasions, but in 2021, they have become more of a casual piece paired with comfy sweaters and jackets this year. The 2021 version of leather pants are not as tight and has a denim/jean-like look. It’s going to be a popular look this holiday season.

Mesh Tops

Now, these tops can be a hit or miss. Many people have different views on this mesh top trend because of the crazy patterns and how see-through they are. However, that ranges from person to person. These tops were trending all over Tik Tok, and many people were not afraid to show off their fun and creative looks.

Cropped Cardigan

The cropped cardigan mimics the traditional cardigan, just without its longevity. It’s that happy medium where you get a cute cropped sweater and a cardigan all in one. Cropping things has been all the rage these past couple of years, so it makes sense why it’s gained so much popularity.

Matching Sets

Athleisure became super popular back in 2020 since quarantine fashion consisted of pajamas and those same three t-shirts you rotated through. Luckily, this trend continued into 2021, and matching sets were a hit. Significantly, the Aerie crossover leggings shown in the picture above. These leggings blew up like crazy on Tik Tok and are still a hot commodity!

Button-Downs

Button-downs were 2021’s version of a normal bathing suit cover-up. Every swimsuit just had to be paired with a white or colored button-down this summer. It adds the perfect touch to any beachy look and is super comfortable and easy to style.

Upside Down Bikini

Lastly is the upside-down bikini top trend. I don’t think anyone saw this one coming. You take your regular triangle bikini top and flip it upside down. You can even criss-cross the strings at the top for a fun neckline! This trend completely transformed your bikini and was perfect if you didn’t feel like buying new suits for the summer.

Vanessa Hohner is currently a first-year student minoring in Journalism at Penn State. She loves all things writing and has a special place in her heart for reality TV.