This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you were in New York City this weekend, you may have thought that Halloween came early with all of the different costumed characters flocking the city. Although that’s not exactly true, it was this year’s New York Comic-Con at the Javits Convention Center. Every year, thousands of people come together for a four-day convention and geek-out to the best of their ability.

Comic-Con is a convention for everyone; whether you like Comics, Video Games, Anime, or Sci-fi/Fantasy TV shows and movies. Here, it’s okay to wear your best spandex outfit when pretending to be your favorite superhero. It’s okay to wear the craziest wig imaginable. I wore a long purple one for my costume this past Saturday, what is often talked about as the day for show-stopping costumes. From young to old, it’s for everyone. The different costumes are just incredible and you can tell that so much time and effort went into each one.

This was my first Comic-con experience, but it’s safe to say I would go back in a heartbeat! There are so many different things to do for everyone. There are a ton of awesome companies on the Show Floor to meet, greet, and get free merchandise from. Think posters, candy, and in certain circumstances, DVDs! Individual sellers and aspiring artists take up the Show Floor and Artist Alley, who sell fan-favorite items like plushies or classic /new comics.

Additionally, there are multiple panels to go to, to see your favorite creators, writers, and famous actors from TV shows and comics throughout history. Not to mention autographing and photo opportunities. For example, Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia Organa in part IV, V, and VI of the Star Wars series was there! May I just add, that I had the chance to take a picture with Tom Felton, Draco Malfoy of the Harry Potter series? I. Know.

I suggest that everyone should go to Comic-Con at least once in their lifetime. It’s an interesting event and in one of the best cities in the United States, New York City.

Tips for next year’s Comic-Con:

• Buy tickets in advanced, they usually sell out.
  • Book a hotel close to the Convention Center right after you buy your tickets. Hotels WILL be $300+ a night if you wait till the week of, like I did. (Finding a friend’s floor to crash on doesn’t hurt either)
  • Have your costume prepared at least two weeks before, so you don’t have to do an all-nighter right before you leave.
  • Add the NYCC Mobile App! It tells you which famous guests will be attending, there is a schedule of all panels and events, there is a center map of each floor, and there are constant updates throughout the weekend.
  • Take a backpack for all your free merch, a water bottle and other awesome things you may buy.
  • Make a budget for how much you want to spend that weekend, while tickets are not too expensive, think meals, parking and general shopping.
  • Lastly, don’t forget your camera!

I'm a Junior Advertising and Japanese/Sociology Minor at Penn State University. Currently, a photographer for HCPSU.