BTC MONEY?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC MONEY?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design
Career

Is College the Time to Save Money or Spend It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

When it comes to money in college, I’m pretty sure everyone has the same thoughts about it: what am I supposed to be doing? 

Every year I find myself torn on whether I should try to be financially stable, or if I should simply not check my bank account until Christmas, when I can beg my family for money. For the last three years, I’ve promised myself that I would try to save my money. The idea seems simple enough in theory. Then suddenly, I’m at Starbucks three times a week and online shopping WAY too often. And then I’m broke. 

Now what? 

Checking my bank account approximately a month into school is always painful. I end up feeling bad, and promising myself that for the rest of the semester, I’ll be cheap (a huge lie). The more I think about it though, is this really necessary? 

On one hand, yes, it’s nice to have a good amount of money saved, especially in case of an emergency. It’ll teach you how to budget your money and prepare you for the real world. 

On the other hand (and this hand I like a whole lot better), this is your time to be irresponsible with money. It’s socially acceptable to be broke in college. Spending way too much on the weekend isn’t just about draining your bank account, it’s about enjoying yourself and making memories. I may not feel the greatest on Sunday morning, after I eat D.P. Dough at 2 a.m. with my friends. I’ll be glad that I didn’t restrict myself just to save an extra $10, though. 

It’s not worth it to feel guilty over spending money. You shouldn’t be spending your time worrying about if that coffee you bought the other day was “really worth it” or not. There are bigger things to stress about, especially as we’re all suffering through midterms right now. 

After I got over my initial “frugal college girl” stage, I had an epiphany: 

You can always work to make up for money spent. You can’t go back and experience something you missed because you wanted to keep your bank account in check.

Following this motto, I’ve splurged more than I usually do this semester. I’m not making huge purchases every week, but I’m not being super strict with spending either. 

It feels good to not have a pit in my stomach everytime I swipe my credit card. Will my financial status be looking so hot going into winter break? Probably not. But hey, everything comes with a price (literally). 

Don’t take my financial advice too seriously, because I’m definitely not qualified to be giving it, but don’t be hard on yourself about spending money. There’s nothing wrong with using your hard earned cash on something you want. Maybe don’t spend hundreds every weekend, but hey, I’m not judging. 

There will be a time where you actually can’t be spending your money without too many regrets. Don’t make that time come sooner than it needs to. 

College is the time to be reckless, and the time to embrace being broke. 

Rachel Darata is a junior at Penn State majoring in Telecommunications aiming to get a Smeal College of Business Fundamentals Certificate.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.