This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

A few years ago, chunky knit blankets became one of the biggest trending decor items on the market. Everyone I knew had purchased a chunky knit blanket, and nearly every dorm room haul video that I could find on YouTube featured one of them. 

The voluminous, woven treasures are practically unavoidable – even for those who don’t care much for decor.

Admittedly, I almost bought one while I was shopping for dorm room decor for my freshman year, however, anyone who has purchased one can attest to how expensive these blankets can be. 

The cheapest one that I could find on Target’s website was a shocking $49.99, which is much more money than a college student like myself is willing to throw around. 

Hand-crafting one of these “chonky” boys may not be much cheaper either, as each blanket requires up to eighteen balls of yarn, and each ball can range from $12.00 to $30.00. 

Cost aside, the arm-knitting process does, admittedly, look like fun. I recommend watching an arm-knitting video or two if you haven’t seen one before; the whole process is so entertaining and relaxing to watch.

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

Whether they purchase or arm-knit their blankets, anyone can instantly become decor royalty solely for possessing one. I used to envy the people who would post pictures with their blankets, however, the more I looked at their pictures, the more grateful I became that I didn’t buy one.

I get the strong sense that when these stop trending, they will no longer be as cute as everyone perceives them to be. 

Think back to past trends: whether it be low-rise jeans, popcorn ceilings, or those nightmarish sequined peace signs that took the world by storm in the 2010s, each had been acceptable at their times of popularity, yet became cringe-inducing as soon as they fell out of style. 

It wouldn’t be shocking to me if this tragic fate were to grace the chunky knit blanket as well.

Unsplash/ Kelly Sikkema

Looking at them in the present day, I do not have a problem with chunky knit blankets. As a matter of fact, I think they look rather comfy! 

Of course, the cheaper ones likely aren’t as cozy as they look; I remember reading reviews on Kohl’s saying that their blankets were scratchy and uncomfortable. 

Just to play devil’s advocate, it is a general rule that the cheaper a product is, the more likely it will be of poorer quality than one that’s double the cost. That is not limited to chunky knit blankets; that rule can go for anything. You get what you pay for.  

My issue with these blankets – and fads in general – are their potential to go to waste. It’s possible that once they go out of style, one might throw them away simply because they’re no longer “cool” or cute, even if they are still completely functional. 

As long as the people that are willing to spend an extensive amount of money on a blanket ensure they will put it to good use, and are aware of the fact that they are likely to go out of style, my faith in humanity will not diminish.

So, should you cop or should you drop the beloved chunky knit blanket? That is up for you to decide; nobody will blame you if you drop, however, considering that their reign on the decor community is coming to an end.

Ava Kidd is a sophomore in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications at PSU. She is double majoring in Public Relations and German. On weekends, you can find her either volunteering at the local cat rescue or solving sudoku puzzles!
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.