Celebrities Changing the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

From the Paris Hilton days, we have been bombarded with celebrity sex tapes. Whether actual tapes or alleged ones, celebrity women are continually shining directly in the spotlight to the entire nation, and not in a good way.

From Kim Kardashian, Tila Tequila, Lindsay Lohan—post Parent Trap days, thank goodness—and Vanessa Hudgens—during High School Musical Days, yikes—it seems these celebrity scandals flood the media, and we can’t help but let them get our attention.

It’s us who let the stories get get our attention over more important things that actually affect our live like current events and world news?

Listen, we’re all guilty of it. It’s amusing and hilarious. They’re making fools out of themselves and we get a kick out of knowing it’s them, and not us. But that’s exactly it. These celebrities give women a bad rep.

I’m going to propose changing things around a bit.

Let’s consider the celebrities not in the spotlight that should be. There are strong, powerful, influential women out there—I swear they’re real—that we should all be looking up to. They work hard and actually contribute to the world.

There are celebrities that not only support various foundations and charities, but others that have their own. Instead of using their celebrity status to show us themselves naked, they take advantage of their recognition and use channels like social media to reach us personally and spread the word on good causes.

These celebrities are busy making their mark on the world by helping those in need, and making the world a better place. Can you say kick-ass? We can. Let’s take a look.

Celebrity 1, Sophia Bush:
Sophia won a 2011 Do Something Award this summer for her work on Twitter, helping spread the word on environmental activism, by showing and encouraging everyone to clean up.

One of her recent tweets said, “X Challenge Oil Spill Cleanup Winners Beat Industry Standard Tech By 400%. It’s possible to do better. BP/Shell/Exxon – are you listening?”

Sophia goes so above and beyond and she has started the fundraising effort “Sophia’s Charitable Life” on crowdrise.com, a website where people start fundraisers, ask for donations and spread the word, while having fun doing it.

She starts her description on the site with: “Because the Gulf matters. The people matter. A green, clean future for our nation and for our WORLD matters!!” In this effort alone, Sophia manages eight different projects. Right now, Sophia is at $92,191. You go girl.

To check out Sophia’s charities or start one of your own, head to http://www.crowdrise.com/sophiabush.

Celebrity 2, Kristin Cavallari:
At the end of the spring, Kristin designed a shoe for ShoeDazzle and donated all of the profits going to the charity, One Kid One World. This charity aids children in impoverished areas around the world, specifically helping them excel in academics and athletics.

ShoeDazzle also made an additional $5 donation to the charity for new clients that joined the website and used the special code “KRISTIN,” during the summer.

“Partnering with ShoeDazzle has given me the opportunity to join two of my loves, fashion and charity work! I’ve enjoyed the process of designing this unique shoe that really matches my style and personality,” Kristin said.

Look cute AND contribute to society while doing? We’ll take it.

To check out One Kid One World or donate, head to: http://onekidoneworld.org/

Celebrity 3, Alicia Keys:
Alicia is the co-founder and ambassador of the charity Keep a Child Alive. This charity is an ongoing effort in helping to provide love, treatment and support to families of those affected by HIV/AIDS.

During a trip to Africa in 2003, Alicia witnessed the significance of AIDS and the drastic impact it has on the community. She regarded it as “much more than a deadly disease capable of orphaning children, devastating communities, and stifling economic progress.”

Alicia has been the driving force behind the project ever since. Because of Alicia’s efforts, the organization has been able to raise millions of dollars to care for patients in Africa and India. But, Alicia’s work does not stop here. She is responsible for initiating and contributing to well-known media initiatives, such as the Spirit of a Child campaign, the controversial Drug Dealer campaign and the star-studded I am African campaign, spearheaded by Iman and featuring David Bowie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Richard Gere, Sarah Jessica Parker, Lenny Kravitz and many other top artists.

For more, head to: http://keepachildalive.org/about/alicia-keys/.

Celebrity 4, Avril Lavigne:
Avril’s own foundation, ROCKS, stands for Respect, Opportunity, Choices, Knowledge, and Strength, and “is in support of children and youth living with serious illnesses and disabilities.”

To spread awareness, the foundation often partners with other leading charitable organizations to create further programs and continue mobilizing support. The site opens with a word from Avril herself, stating “I have always looked for ways to give back because I think it’s a responsibility we all share. The Avril Lavigne Foundation will allow me to support the causes I really care about in a more meaningful way, and hopefully inspire you to join us.”

Avril, you rock. In more than a literal sense.

Check out ROCKS at: http://theavrillavignefoundation.org/about.

Are you inspired? We hope so. What are you waiting for? As these celebrities have shown us, you can make a difference. As the St. Ignatius quote goes: “Go forth and set the world on fire.”