Style > Beauty

Black-Owned Hair Care Companies You Have to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a curly girl, I have become obsessed with trying out new hair products and brands over the years, and love seeing the confident curly women who start their own brands from the ground up. To honor these spectacular women, I am sharing my favorite Black-owned hair-care brands that are must-tries (especially for those with wavy/curly locks)! 

Briogeo

Founded by Nancy Twine, Brigeo aims to celebrate everyone’s unique, authentic and natural beauty. Twine started her career in finance, but her world changed after she suddenly lost her mother. This change helped her to see that life is short and inspired her to begin a soul-searching journey to fill her life with purpose and work that ignited her passion and positivity, hence, the creation of Briogeo. 

The name “Briogeo” can be broken down based on its meaning: “brio” is the Italian noun for being full of life, vibrancy, energy and intention. “Geo” is a Latin prefix that means of the earth or nature. When put together, Briogeo means emanating confidence, vibrant and contagious energy; embracing what makes you and others beautiful and feeling empowered among a diverse yet like-minded community. 

Briogeo sells different lines of hair products based on different hair concerns, such as scalp health, damage repair, curls and frizz control. One of their most popular products is a fan-favorite hair mask, “Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask,” which is packed with vitamins to promote healthy hair in just 30 minutes! 

briogeo
Sephora
Mielle organics

Founded by Monique Rodriguez in 2014, almost every one of their products focuses on hair growth, health and strengthening. If you are looking for longer, shinier and stronger hair, Mielle Organics products are exactly what you need. One of their most popular products is actually the “Rosemary Mint Scalp and Hair Strengthening Oil,” which had its time to shine when it was a trend on TikTok. 

According to their website, Mielle Organics “is a hair care and beauty brand that believes healthier ingredients encourage healthier hair and skin.”

The company’s founder, Monique, is also recognized as a leader in the business community as well as a role model among women and girls. Mielle (and Monique) are committed to inspiring women across the world through beauty solutions and business savvy. Today, Mielle Organics is a global and viral sensation, with orders in over 87 countries around the world!

Camille rose naturals

Camille Rose Naturals was founded by Janell Stephens in 2011 to soothe her children’s eczema and dry hair. After three years, this hair care brand grew a following of supporters and is incredibly popular today. One of their bestsellers is the “Almond Jai Twisting Butter,” due to all the vitamins it contains to protect strands of hair from breaking, shredding, thinning and getting damaged. 

According to their website, Camille Rose “seeks to share the purest and warmest joy, happiness, trust and gratitude to each and every person who experiences our products.”

The sudden growth of this brand quickly became proof of what a sharp businesswoman can accomplish when she devotes her time, energy and resources to something she is passionate about. The founder, Janell Stephens, said “It should be everyone’s mission to inspire the uninspired to see the true value of who they are and what they can accomplish. Our gifts go beyond what we see immediately before us and encompass the limitless opportunities that we are given every day to be great.”

Miss jessie’s

Founded by sisters Miko and Titi Branch, Miss Jessie’s products took the curly hair market by storm when they were released in 2004. Since the sisters had previous experience with curly hair product development from their salon and workshop, they were able to perfect their curly hair product’s performance. Soon after, Miss Jessie’s Salon became the go-to place for curly hair solutions.

The Branch sisters started to create hair products after realizing that there wasn’t much on the market to help their curly-haired customers. Their grandmother herself, Miss Jessie, would concoct all sorts of mixtures and formulas at her kitchen table to help tame and style her granddaughter’s wild curls. Titi and Miko were inspired by their grandmother’s “can-do” attitude and decided to create and perfect their own curly hair creations.

One of the most popular Miss Jessie’s products is the “Pillow Soft Curls Cream,” which is a moisturizing and curl-defining styling lotion that is sure to give you the best looking (and smelling) hair that lasts for days!

pattern beauty

Pattern Beauty was founded by celebrity Tracee Ellis Ross, who wanted to create her own brand of products to tame and perfect curly hair. According to the website, “PATTERN focuses on healthy hair and encourages each hair texture to take up as much space as it desires. We search the glove for the best ingredients and review thousands of formulas with our chemists until we create the solutions to help you achieve your happiest hair.”

Pattern’s vision is to support the curliest, coiliest and tightest of hair textures; to embrace love and celebrate everyone’s gorgeous hair and to help everyone’s hair live its best life. They empower people on their curl journey by providing affordable and effective products.

One of Pattern’s most popular products is their “Detangling Nectar,” which helps to comb through knots and tangles with ease. 

I hope that all of my curly-headed friends will be able to find some joy (and good hair days!) with all the spectacular products from these Black-owned brands!

Christina is a second-year student in the Schreyer Honors College at Penn State. She is studying Telecommunications & Media Industries and Spanish. Outside of Her Campus at PSU she participates in Mock Trial, Caliente Dance Company, Empowering Women in Law, and is working in her first internship with Health Promotion and Wellness at Penn State.