‘Anyone But You’: A Future Rom-Com Classic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I recently watched “Anyone but You,” the newest romantic comedy to hit theaters. I loved it so much, but I still wanted to give it an honest review.

Warning: This review contains spoilers.  

The first thing I want to touch on is the amazing performances of the movie’s main stars, Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell. They have undeniable chemistry with one another.

Sweeney stars as Bea, a law student who is unsure about her future. Powell stars as Ben, a financial adviser. The two meet and have a wonderful first date, but then their attraction sours.

When they’re both invited to a wedding in Australia, they unexpectedly run into their respective exes. They decide to pretend to be the perfect couple to avoid their exes, resulting in a hilarious enemies-to-lovers romance.

Sweeney and Powell shine in their roles, trading insults and sexual tension with each other in equal measure. Their sharp tongues will make you grin, and their suggestive glances will make you scream into your popcorn for them to just kiss already.

When they do kiss, it’s so perfect that you want them to do it again.

A good romantic comedy hinges on the compatibility of its main couple, and “Anyone but You” is no exception. Sweeney and Powell certainly deliver with witty banter that will have you laughing at the screen.  

Another part of the movie that I really enjoyed was the connection to Shakespeare. “Anyone but You” is based on Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing.”

I liked that the similarities went beyond just the names of the characters. The movie included dialogue from the Shakespeare production, and there are similar visual elements as well.

There are multiple times in the movie where quotes from the play are shown on book covers and signs within the settings. These references were very enjoyable to watch as a fan of the original source material. 

The last part of the movie I want to touch on is the overall plot. Although it is very entertaining, it is a bit unrealistic.

One point that particularly stuck with me was the scene where Bea and Ben meet for the first time. They meet at a coffee shop and then go on a first date.

The only problem is that Bea is on her first day of a law school internship and she just leaves during her lunch break to go on a date with Ben. This irritated me because no one who wants to make a good impression at a new job would ever leave in the middle of their first day.

The other part of the plot that irked me was close to the end when Ben goes after Bea. A rescue helicopter takes him out of the Pacific Ocean to the Sydney Opera House to reconcile with her.

That is completely unrealistic, but it led to a very cute kiss and a happy ending so I think I can let it slide. 

“Anyone but You” is still in theaters currently. It’s also available to buy on Amazon Prime Video.

I recommend that you go see it when you have a chance. It’s a phenomenal romantic comedy that has the makings of a future classic.  

Veronica Figg is a Sophomore at Penn State University with a major in Criminology and a minor in English. She is a student in the Schreyer Honors College. She has been writing since she was young. When she isn't in class you can find her in the library curled up with a good book or working on her second novel.