Wellness > Health

8 Reasons Why Getting A Dog Is Good For Your Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Throughout 2020 and quarantine, I began to see an online therapist because I was suffering from depression and anxiety. I’ve confided in many therapists before, and I am no stranger to new coping mechanism suggestions and lifestyle changes. However, this psychologist’s suggestion surprised me with something I’d never heard before: I should get a dog.

As a diehard dog person, I was over the moon about this suggestion. My family and I had been discussing adding a four-legged member to our family for some time. Ultimately, the idea that a dog would benefit my mental health was the final push we needed to make this dream a reality. In June 2020, we brought home Benji, a beagle puppy.

The results were surprising, but Benji proved effective. Although he caused us plenty of stress during his puppy days throughout the perils of house-training, he quickly became a beloved member of the family.

Scientists have spent years compiling studies to prove the physical and mental health benefits that dogs provide to their owners. Here are eight conclusions that researchers around the world have drawn relating to dogs improving human mental health.

Dogs benefit your heart health

Multiple studies have shown that dog owners have a lower risk of death from cardiovascular problems. Dogs help to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease and cardiac failure, and improve responses to stress. Research suggests that the bond between a dog and its owner reduces stress, which is a major cause of cardiovascular issues.

Dogs encourage owners to get more exercise

A 2019 British study suggests that dog owners are up to four times more likely than non-dog owners to meet daily physical activity guidelines. Dogs are active and energetic animals, and in order to manage this, owners are required to take them on frequent walks. Dog owners spend approximately 300 minutes a week walking their canines, which is 200 more minutes than non-dog owners. This exercise comes with a plethora of physical and mental health benefits.

Dogs decrease asthma risks in children

According to a JAMA Pediatrics study, children who live with a pet in the first year of their life have a 13% lower risk of developing asthma later in life than those who do not. Not only does dog ownership lower the risk of asthma, but having a pup in infancy can strengthen a child’s overall immune development.

dogs prevent loneliness

Unconditional love, mental support, and plenty of cuddles – dogs are the companions in our lives that never leave our sides. A study conducted by the Human Animal Bond Research Institute found that 80% of pet owners say their pet makes them feel less lonely, and 54% say their pet helps them connect with other people.

Dogs can help elderly dementia patients

Just because you can’t teach an old dog new tricks doesn’t mean an old human should miss out on experiencing this loving bond. A study involving pet therapy for seniors with dementia showed an improvement in social interactions and a sharp decrease in agitated behavior.

dogs are great for your mental health

According to a recent study, pet owners are less likely to be depressed or anxious, more satisfied with their lives, and even require fewer medical services. The main contributor to this may be the release of oxycontin in both an owner’s and dog’s bodies when cuddling. Oxycontin is a bonding chemical and reduces stress and anxiety, and also allows people to better understand emotions.

Dogs help to reduce stress

A plethora of studies have proven that dogs can help alleviate stress and anxiety in humans. Researchers at Washington State University found that just ten minutes of petting a dog can lead to a dramatic reduction in a major stress hormone, Cortisol.

dogs can help YOu cope with crisis

A study by the College of Veterinary Medicine at Purdue University concluded that war veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder cope better psychologically and physiologically when they have a service dog, showing fewer signs of PTSD.

Em is a British-American student studying Public Relations at Penn State University Park. She is a football fan, of both Manchester City and Buffalo Bills.