8 Internship Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Congratulations, collegiettes! Now that you’ve landed your dream internship and secured your summer plans, it’s time to get down to business.  Let these eight essential items be your guide to being successful in the city while interning.

1. The Oversized Tote

It is important for every woman entering the business world to own an oversized tote. Serving as a makeshift briefcase, your bag should be large enough to fit almost anything in there, from a bagged lunch to your laptop. Keep it professional by sticking with leather or a similar material and neutral colors.

2. Protein Bar

Your internship may surprise you with long, unexpected hours. Play it on the safe side and always stash an emergency meal replacement bar for an extra boost of protein and energy, incase you don’t have time for a proper meal.

3. Hand Mirror

Always keep a small mirror handy in your tote. Check your teeth, nose and face periodically after meals to make sure there are no leftover remnants from lunch. You wouldn’t want to embarrass yourself in front of your boss or an important client.

4. Travel-Sized Sewing Kit

Don’t get caught with a popped button or a snag in your blouse. Always keep a small sewing kit ready to go in your tote. In the event of a rip or tear at work, simply excuse yourself to the bathroom and temporarily patch it up.

5. Spare Phone Charger

If you are ever sent out on a task, your phone is your lifeline. It should be charged at all times in the event of your boss is trying to contact you or if you need to send a time sensitive email. Plus, it can be a great navigation resource if you get lost in a big city.

6. Breath Mints

Fresh breath is a must. Not only are you representing your company, but also you will be too busy to be concerned about something like bad breath. Mints will provide you with the confidence and freshness you need throughout the day.

7. Fast Flats

Foldable and compact, Fast Flats are a great commuting shoe. As it turns out, they are useful for something besides walking home late at night from parties (who knew?). Wear them to and from work and change into your heels on the bus, train or subway. If you are sent out on an errand, wear these to move around the city at a faster pace if you are not completely comfortable in heels. Your feet will thank you.

8. Spare Cash

You never know when your boss may send you out around the city, from a coffee run to meeting with a client. While you may receive a stipend for all of your personal expenses, it is important to have extra cash on you at all times.

Rachel Elman is currently a senior at Penn State University majoring in public relations and minoring in international studies. She recently returned from a semester abroad studying at the University of Sydney, Australia. Rachel plans to become a publicist in the entertainment industry. Follow her journey at @RachelElman on Twitter and Instagram!
Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.