tailgate captions?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tailgate captions?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo By Kampus Productions from Pexels

7 Ways to Truly Enjoy Your Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

So, you made it to spring break, and you deserve to kick back and relax. Maybe you’ve worked your butt off this semester and earned your time off, or maybe you will start actually checking your grades the Sunday spring break ends. Either way, keep reading for tips on how to enjoy your staycation or ultimate spring break getaway.

1. Pack Early

Going home with no intention of leaving your couch? Or flying directly from school to warm weather? I don’t recommend packing the night before because it’s the easiest way to leave something behind in your dorm or apartment. The number of times I’ve waited to pack the night before and ended up forgetting to bring spare contact lenses is laughable… so try to pack early!

It’s easier to pack sweats or bathing suits and add more, rather than get in the car or sit on an airplane and make a mental list of what you’ve forgotten.

2. Spring Break Playlist

Good music and good vibes make for a good spring break. For any spring break destination, having the right playlist on queue is necessary. You don’t need to be curating playlists to lay somewhere warm, if you’re planning on staying home and chilling with your dog, try listening to some new releases.

Untitled design 4?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Polydor and Interscope/Universal Music New Zealand/Republic Records

3. Update Your Reading/Watch List

Can’t emphasize this one enough. There will be some kind of downtime regardless of your spring break plans! If you wake up in the morning before your friends and don’t feel like aimless scrolling, have a book prepared or a new tv show downloaded. Sometimes it’s nice to put your air pods in and watch tv to take a break and recharge your social battery. Not to mention, car rides, waiting at the airport or train station or staying in bed provide plenty of time to watch or read something new.

4. Don’t Save Homework for the Night Before Class

We’ve all been there… thinking it’s fine to save a homework assignment due at midnight before class on Monday. Save yourself the trauma and just do it before the break. You may not be happy Sunday night to be back from wherever you happily spent the previous few days, but you probably will be miserable if you’re doing homework instead of sleeping or hanging out with friends or roommates you haven’t seen in a week.

5. Cancel Some Screen Time

This comes off as hypocritical especially after saying you should make playlists and download new shows but make time to not be on your phone or computer. Seriously, we’re on our computers and phones constantly doing school work (or avoiding school work and procrastinating) so take some time every day during spring break to hang out with your friends and family. Instead of checking social media to see how everyone else’s spring break is going, just don’t go on your phone. Of course, still check Her Campus for new posts though!

6. Take Pictures

After staying off your phone for a bit, take pictures! Not necessarily to post, but to look back on and to remember Spring Break 2023. The number of times my friends and I have taken photos and then said “eek this is for the mems” will probably double during spring break, but at least we’ll have the memories!

7. Do What You Want

You know what works for you. It’s really hard if you’re traveling with friends and everyone wants to do different things but consider what you actually want to do. Spring break is so anticipated yet goes so fast, so don’t be left with regret at the end of break wishing you had done some things differently. There’s nothing wrong with doing what’s best for you, especially when you deserve a break.

Have fun and stay safe during spring break!

Fourth-year Schreyer student majoring in political science, global and international studies, and minoring in ethics.