7 Reasons To Love Peter Kavinsky From To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We’ve all seen the movie, and if you haven’t, please come back to this article after you’ve seen it – but we’ve all also fallen in love with Peter Kavinsky. If you’re looking for a way to rationalize your uncontrollable infatuation for To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, and more specifically, Peter Kavinsky, then here’s a list of reasons why you’ve seen the movie plenty more than a handful of times; and, why you have a picture of Peter Kavinsky as your wallpaper – or maybe that’s just me.

1. He’s respectful of Lara Jean’s boundaries.

Although we can’t all say we would’ve had the same boundaries as Lara Jean when it comes to Peter Kavinsky, the fact that he respects hers makes him boyfriend material. Once she says she’s not comfortable kissing him anymore, they stop kissing. He puts his hand in her pocket only because Lara Jean gives him explicit permission.

2. He writes love notes for Lara Jean.

This one might seem childish at first, but it’s a big deal. Peter Kavinsky proves, in the movie universe, at least, that romance isn’t dead. His combination of heart-eyes-emoji text messages to Lara Jean and handwritten notes is the perfect blend of old school dating and modern dating. It adds a chivalrous, personal touch to our behind-a-screen generation.

3. He shows off Lara Jean.

I’m sure many of you reading this have experienced being someone’s secret or being in an unofficial relationship with someone. Peter shamelessly posts selfies on Instagram with his “bae.” Again, this shouldn’t be something to write home about, but it is since so many relationships go unofficial for so long that they never have a public social media presence. That’s not to say that a good relationship must be present on social media, but what girl doesn’t want to be shown off every once in a while?

4. He’s responsible.

One of Lara Jean’s contractual obligations is to be Peter’s arm candy at parties. He specifically doesn’t drink any alcohol because he knows he has the responsibility of getting Lara Jean and himself home safely after the party, or at least to the diner first for a deep chat sesh.

5. He’s a good listener.

After all the time they spend together, they become super close and divulge their deepest secrets with each other. Peter tells Lara Jean how he really feels about his dad abandoning their family, and while Lara Jean vents about how much she misses her mom, Peter is focused and interested in what she’s saying. This is definitely one of the deepest moments between them, and in this video by TheWrap, Noah Centineo even said that he thinks this is the moment Peter fell for Lara Jean.

6. He defends Lara Jean.

When a mystery source leaks a video of Lara Jean and Peter in the hot tub at the ski resort, the whole school jumps to conclusions about what really happened. Peter is quick to shut down all the rumors in a very outspoken way, shouting to everyone in the hallway to leave her alone. Lara Jean still had to deal with the embarrassment of the leaked video, but Peter didn’t let the bystander effect take control here.

7. That adorable smile.

I mean, c’mon, what kind of list would this be if it didn’t include this?

Peter Kavinsky has rewritten the standards for girls everywhere. Guys are going to have to step up their game, because we won’t settle for anything less than Peter Kavinsky. You deserve your Peter Kavinsky, collegiettes, so don’t stop looking until you find him!

Penn State University '22. I'm an avid movie goer, candy connoisseur, and professional binge-watcher of The Office and Shark Tank. I'm also a seasoned road-tripper and aspiring HGTV show host.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.