Style > Beauty

6 of the Easiest Makeup Products for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There are constantly new launches being released by makeup companies, which can be pretty daunting for beginners. Going to any makeup section involves looking at multiples upon multiples of the same products with no idea where to start. There has also been a trend of using more cream and liquid products for things that were primarily powders before (ex: blush, highlight). Nothing wrong with this, but I remember being intimidated by trying these types of products in the beginning stages of learning how to use makeup.

Let me help you, by showing a few products that may be best to start out with. 

1. It Cosmetics Bye Bye Foundation Full Coverage Moisturizer

I LOVE this product. Foundation isn’t necessarily hard to put on, but it can be hard to find one with the coverage you like. This product isn’t heavy on the face at all. It starts out with being medium coverage, but can be built up to full coverage. It covers up any redness and is long-wearing.

The two cons I will say about this product is that it does not have a lot of shades and has a high cost. My recommendation is to wait until Ulta does a “21 Days of Beauty” sale, because this product always seems to be somewhere in that sale. In the meantime, I would get a drugstore foundation. My recommendation is the Maybelline Matte and Poreless. That foundation is also medium to full coverage and has tons of shades available.

1. Colourpop Eyeshadow Palettes

I would recommend these to everyone. These palettes are great quality while remaining on the affordable side. Personally, I hate eyeshadows that are overwhelmingly pigmented and these are not like that at all. They are very buildable and easy to use.

Unfortunately, I think my favorite palette from them has been discontinued, but the other ones that I use all the time are Flutter By and Wild Nothing.

1. Rare Beauty Liquid Eyeshadows

I promise, you cannot mess this product up. I know that liquid anything in makeup can seem scary, but this product is so easy. What I like to do is take the applicator and just messily apply it to my eye.

I put it everywhere, and then I take my finger and use it to make sure the product is all over my eye. If I don’t like the way it is looking, I’ll use a blending brush and just swirl it around everywhere. It is so easy to use and looks amazing on the eyes. 

1. Maybelline Eyeshadow in The Glo Down

This product is so old and only seems to be found at Walmart now, but it is my holy grail highlighter. It’s listed as an eyeshadow, but I never use it for that. This shadow is the perfect highlighter, especially if you are going to an event and want to look really glowy.

I heard about this years ago from Roxette Arisa on YouTube and will forever stan her for this recommendation. I will add a warning though — there is no such thing as subtle with this highlighter.

1. Buxom Plumping Lip Glosses

I waited for years to actually purchase this product. I wanted it so bad, but didn’t want to spend $20 on a lip gloss. I know it may seem like a lot of money, especially for a beginner, but I promise it’s worth it.

Upon application, there is an instant cooling effect and the colors can go on top of any lipstick or just your natural lips. My favorite shade is “White Russian.” A little warning though, it does need to be reapplied a few times throughout the day.

Also as a tip, this product is always on sale. It is usually in the “21 Days of Beauty” sale at Ulta, so just be on the lookout for that. I promise, it’s worth it. 

1. Burt’s Bees Blushes

These blushes are very popular, but I didn’t know if I should include them since they are very pigmented. However, I wanted a powdered blush in here and these are some of the best. A lot of beauty influencers will suggest to lightly tap your brush into the product and then lightly brush it onto your face.

If you’re like me and have a heavy hand no matter how hard you try, this is my hack. Put the brush into the product and roughly rub it onto the cover to help get some of the product off. Then, apply the blush until it’s perfect. As long as you find a way to take off some of the product before applying, you should be fine. 

Arianna is currently a second year student at Penn State University from Massachusetts. In her free time she likes to listen to music, read, and watch the same three shows over and over again.