This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The year has come to a close, yet my “TBR” stays getting longer and longer.

“TBR” stands for “to be read” and about half of the books on my 250+ “TBR” have been there for years. With the new year just beginning, I’m vowing to get at least some of these books finally off of my TBR.

“divine rivals: a novel (letters of enchantment, 1)” by rebecca ross

This one is the newest to join my “TBR” but I really hope to read it ASAP as I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. 

I’ve slowly fallen behind on reading fantasy so I think it might take me a while to get into it, but from what I’ve heard from friends, I think I’m going to really love the characters. 

Also, it follows two journalists that are rivals. I’m sold.

“if we were villains” by m.l. rio

The same friend who recommended me “Divine Rivals” recommended this one as well so I’m excited to start this one. 

It’s a mystery thriller that follows students of a prestigious theater arts university and what happens when castings don’t follow as usual. The play bleeds into real life and a student ends up dead meanwhile the others struggle to act and convince themselves they’re all blameless. 

The setting and the story gives all the dark academia vibes so I can’t wait to finally sit down and read this one. 

Personally, I haven’t picked it up sooner because I heard it’s going have an emotional ending (y friend broke down over it for weeks after she finished).

“before the coffee gets cold” by toshikazu kawaguchi

To be honest, one of the main reasons I picked up this book is because I just love the covers. I bought the whole set and so I did read the blurb.

This first book follows customers of a coffee shop as they travel back in time while they dine there but they must come back before their coffee gets cold. 

I think the story is so interesting I’ll probably start reading this one first since it’s so short too. 

“Carrie soto is back” by taylor jenkins reid

I love anything by Taylor Jenkins Reid, so I have no doubt I’ll love this one too.

I’ve had this one on my TBR since she announced she was writing it and when it came out I bought it right away. But I still have yet to read. 

I really want to start it, because I heard it’s set in the same universe as her other books and she has written some of my favorite book characters so any cameo will make me ecstatic. 

It tells the story of (fictional) famous, record-breaking tennis player Carrie Soto, and follows her as she comes back from retirement to play one last, epic game.

I’ve also been meaning to reread some of my favorite books too, but have been too busy these past couple of months. So, here are a few rereads that are on my “TBR” list for the year. 

“bring down the stars” by emma scott

There is not enough time in the world for me to sit and talk about this book. Not only is the love story compelling, but I fell in love with the characters. 

This author, Emma Scott, has written some of the most gut-wrenching books that I have read and this one doesn’t fall short there either. 

While it may seem like a love triangle story, you quickly learn the truth between what brings the three of them together. I’m trying not to spoil it because I highly recommend this book, so if you enjoy unrequited(ish) love and angst, this book is definitely for you. 

“beautiful world, where are you” by sally rooney

Ending with what I would probably call my favorite standalone novel, “Beautiful World, Where Are You,” written by none other than Sally Rooney. 

I first read it only last year, but I always find myself thinking about the story and its characters.

It follows two friends, Alice and Eileen, as they struggle to find beauty and live in a world that is so imperfect. Rooney highlights human relationships in this novel as we see both characters worry over their own friendship, their families and their love life. 

Eileen is one of my favorite characters ever and I see myself in her so much, so this book will definitely be my first reread from this list.

Happy reading!

A third-year student at Penn State studying English with a passion for Journalism. When she is not writing, she is making Pinterest boards, painting, curled up with a good book or listening to Taylor Swift!