5 Valentine’s Day Date Ideas For the Day of Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.
Movie Night

This one is a classic. There are so many romantic movies out there that can make your Valentine’s Day a night to remember. “Pretty Woman” is my favorite romantic comedy and is perfect for the Cinderella-story lover in your life.  

“When Harry Met Sally…” is an oldie, but a goodie. It is great for any relationship that started out with the two of you as friends before you both turned into more.  

For those of you who are celebrating galentine’s day with your friends, I recommend any film in the “Pitch Perfect” series. It is the perfect mix of girl-bonding, laughter and music to get everyone laughing and smiling at the end of the night. 

Remember to grab something sweet or salty to snack on. Popcorn is always a solid choice. Chocolate is a staple of Valentine’s Day as well.

Don’t forget to bring a blanket. It gets chilly in February!

Dinner

As a massive foodie, this one wins my heart. Getting dinner is a wonderful way to express your love to your partner or your friends.  

As college students, we know that eating at a fancy restaurant can be relatively expensive, so I’ll offer you a few alternatives. The stores in your downtown area surrounding your college often mainly serve the student clientele, especially if you are living in a college town. This means inexpensive places to find a bite to eat are not out of reach.

Pizza is always a college staple. There are also places like Noodles and Co (near Penn State University Park campus) that serves a variety of noodle dishes for the Italian lovers. Takeout like Chinese, Japanese and Indian are delicious options too.  

Wherever you choose, the most important thing is spending time with those you love. You and your significant other can chat about life over some spaghetti and meatballs.  

You and your friends can enjoy some dumplings and lo mein while playing a board game or watching a cool new TV show. Enjoy the food and each other’s company because that’s what Valentine’s Day is all about: spending time with the people you love.  

Go foR A HIKE

This one is for all my people who love being outdoors. It may be chilly, but it’s nothing that a warm coat, hat, scarf and gloves can’t fix. Mount Nittany is a classic hiking trail that is perfect for beginners.  

You and your significant other can hold hands while you hike. You and your friends can take awesome pictures of all the amazing views while walking to the top.  

Mount Nittany is a very popular hiking spot due to its proximity to Penn State’s University Park campus. Once you get to the top you can see the whole campus, especially Penn State’s massive Beaver Stadium.  

The perfect time to reach the top is sunset, so plan accordingly. The view is absolutely beautiful, and it will be an experience you won’t want to forget. Don’t forget to take lots of pictures to make sure your memories of this stunning place last forever! 

GO GET CRAFTY

I know I have some creative types out there. Anyone who loves to do things with your hands should consider heading to 2,000 Degrees in downtown State College, P.A.  

You can paint your own pottery with your significant other or friends. It is a very nice atmosphere, and you are allowed to bring snacks and drinks (with proper ID if you are over 21). It is relaxing and a great bonding experience.  

So, grab a paintbrush and decorate matching mugs with your partner or turn it into a pottery painting party for the girls. Don’t forget a portable speaker so you can play your favorite playlists while you paint.

GO CHECK OUT A SPORTS GAME

All Penn Staters know that if you want to attend an athletic event, it isn’t hard to find one. This is a perfect date for those sports lovers in your life.  

Just make sure you and your significant other or you and your friends are rooting for the same team so that we can just share love this Valentine’s Day.

Go buy some chicken baskets and support our teams while enjoying a fun Valentine’s Day out with your partner or your friends.

Have a great Valentine’s Day and definitely check out these date ideas if you want something to do with your loved ones on this fun and loving holiday! 

Veronica Figg is a Sophomore at Penn State University with a major in Criminology and a minor in English. She is a student in the Schreyer Honors College. She has been writing since she was young. When she isn't in class you can find her in the library curled up with a good book or working on her second novel.