Career > Work

Five Unfortunate Truths About Making a Living as an Entertainer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Entertainers, performers, artists, and content creators are always in fresh supply. Humanity’s hunger for entertainment will never be satiated. The desire to be within the entertainment industry is just as ravenous.

This shift isn’t just exclusive to adults. Many kids have gone from idolizing professions such as an astronauts and sports stars to the glamorous life of a successful prank YouTuber.

Flex culture has shown the general public that a career in creating music, YouTube videos, and even TikToks can lead to fame and fortune. However, be careful what you wish for because the entertainment industry still comes with its own set of problems.

Social media paints the grass much greener than it actually is. The truth about this very toxic industry is overshadowed, but the new generation of workers need to know what some of the downsides are to this mesmerizing industry.

BE CAREFUL OF A POOR WORK/LIFE BALANCE

Being an entertainer, especially a very successful one, can book up a schedule incredibly fast. The time between eating, sleeping and working begins to blur.

In an episode of “The D’Amelio Show”, it is revealed that Charli’s schedule for her appearances into the next year are already booked. Being an entertainer is a fast-paced and exhausting job. Prepare for a intense environment and be mindful of what it takes to keep a healthy work/life balance.

You might start off broke

Not every creative is picked up by a label and funded from the get-go. Sometimes, there’s not going to be any cash.

In many cases, you’re living paycheck to paycheck off of your work, if you even get paid. Be sure to have another source of income so that you can support yourself as you work on your craft.

Always Be Prepared to better your craft

More and more people are being thrust into fame and wealth at younger and younger ages. At such young ages, you’re still developing your identity and your brand.

In “The D’Amelio Show”, Dixie was pressured by her management team to expand her brand through creating music. She was forced to learn songwriting and performing while actively producing content, which led to varying results and, ultimately, an unfinished product.

To engage in a skill outside of your comfort zone while being at the center of attention can cause issues of self esteem and ruin a sense of fulfilment. It’s better to perfect your content as you get famous, rather than catch a lot of attention and not know what to do with it.

Not everyone is looking out for your best interest

This isn’t just the case for entertainers. Many careers have their fair share of hate comments or negative feedback.

But in the entertainment industry, it can manifest itself in the people who run your brand, the people who offer you opportunities and even people who rip off your work. The entertainment industry is unfortunately a “dog eat dog” world, where teamwork isn’t always seen as advantageous. Everyone is trying to get ahead of the crowd.

Have a good legal team on your side and partners that you know will be an asset to your career. Be wary of those who wish to overstep your boundaries in the name of a profit.

The entertainment business thrives on luck

Luck is one of the biggest factors when it comes to making it in the show business industry. It’s a one in a million chance and that can be frustrating. At times, it’ll feel like you’re not getting the recognition that your content deserves.

Hollywood is very hierarchical and chances to rise up are based on who you know and who you work with. Networking is key to surviving as an entertainer. However, as stated above, not everyone is looking out for your best interest.

Always remember that there is a way to work around any issue. Follow the algorithms, see what’s trending and how you can make a unique statement on it. There are ways to make yourself known.

As long as you are proud of your craft and career, along with some helpful business skills, where you are in life will not deter the enthusiasm for the job.

Hello, Lovelies! This is your world, but I am making a fuss in it! I am Ngozi Nwokeukwu, a third-year Telecommunications Major currently writing for both HERCAMPUS and MorphoMag! Let me take you on a tour of this mind of mine.